Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. I have not seen any accidents from people sitting down to don their gear. Go figure.

What do you do when you shore dive and the only place to sit down is on the ground?

I agree that this is not a good practice when on an unstable crowded boat. But for shore diving where there are not facilities to aide in donning, it is perfectly workable if you can handle the weight and are watchful for others.

What do you do when you shore dive and the only place to sit down is on the ground?

I agree that this is not a good practice when on an unstable crowded boat. But for shore diving where there are not facilities to aide in donning, it is perfectly workable if you can handle the weight and are watchful for others.
I don't have a real problem with this AWAY from people. Even then, I just don't like the idea of a flying tank. I had done this myself a couple of times, until we were at Lake Isis and EVERYONE was trying it. Sure enough, a lady got hit on the arm, and she was in PAIN.

More often than not, I see this maneuver performed with people in CLOSE proximity. If you have a buddy, there is just no need to put others in harm's way. Scuba is best when it's a social event and we help each other get ready. No theatrics and no excessive risks.

As always there are many ways to skin a cat and end up with a great meal.

Some of you have seen people getting hurt donning the rig overhead, I'd like to ask them: have you not seem also people getting hurt donning gear by swinging it around? or some other methods of donning?
I have... I've even seen people squirming into a BC set on a bench and end up so twisted they were 100% immobilized, I did see it but can't quite describe how in the world they ended up tied up.

Some people (maybe old farts, I admit) started diving before all the experts over-analized to death every single step of the "get your gear" process. I learned the word "donning" just a few years ago.

Most of the people that get their stuff over head, didn't start doing this last week, they started quite a bit ago with different gear, a lot simpler gear. Their gear changed over the years but only the procedures that "needed" change did so.

To call these people macho is inaccurate (to say the least). The fact that today's diving is done for the masses doesn't allow individuals do their thing.
I agree with people complaining about idiots doing things they don't know how to do. But just because someone didn't start doing things in a certain way (and this includes the blessed mask on forehead) doesn't make that action on itself bad-unsafe- macho or whatever the scuba dictators want to make.

Thanks Ana

That is a great post... except for the cat thing. :wink: My kitties do not approve.

Last edited:
I have been donning my tank over my head for close to 40 years. I never had or have seen any accidents doing it like that.

I do it slowly and always keep the tank under control. With all the new extra hoses, now I stop when the cylinder is directly over my head to check that everything will end up in its proper place, and most of the times it does.

I personally can't think of a more convenient and easier way to put on a single tank (when shore diving). I would never try it with double (even small doubles) or a large heavy tank. I only dive steel 72's or aluminum 80's for single cylinders.

I don't do it on a boat or a crowded location. And I am always aware of my surroundings, but that is just part of the basic procedure.

It also helps that all my backpacks, including the one in my BC vest, are the traditional plastic back pack with handles on both sides. I never let go of the tank until it is sliding vertically down my back.

I don't have a real problem with this AWAY from people. Even then, I just don't like the idea of a flying tank. I had done this myself a couple of times, until we were at Lake Isis and EVERYONE was trying it. Sure enough, a lady got hit on the arm, and she was in PAIN.

More often than not, I see this maneuver performed with people in CLOSE proximity. If you have a buddy, there is just no need to put others in harm's way. Scuba is best when it's a social event and we help each other get ready. No theatrics and no excessive risks.

A flying tank is just very poor technique. I strongly recommend not having flying tanks. :shakehead:

A tank should always be under control, no mater what technique you use. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As always there are many ways to skin a cat and end up with a great meal.

Some of you have seen people getting hurt donning the rig overhead, I'd like to ask them: have you not seem also people getting hurt donning gear by swinging it around? or some other methods of donning?

Actually, I saw a guy who would swing his gear around before stuffing one arm through the strap and letting his tank settle gracefully onto his back. It also caused his second stage to swing around and clock the guy next to him in the back of the head. I'm sure the guy swinging his gear around was going for the big finish by having his second stage pop right into his mouth (tadah!). He seemed a bit put out that the other guy messed up his trick by interupting the flight path of his reg.

Steve.

I do an overhead don like Luis but have control of the tank. On a crowded pitching boat where it is hard to stand or folks are around me I would not try it. The only damage I have ever done by doing an overhead don is I keep smashing my mask on my forehead.

ONLY TWO THINGS TO REMEMBER. ONE--Who is behind you and what happens if you hit them with the tank. TWO-- Hold onto the tank through the BCD arm holes and not the BCD, and if it HURTS do not do it again, I have a friend who hurt his rotator cup... needless to say HE WON't DO THAT AGAIN!

Then again, the over the "head method" has another advantage, you can use it to clear yourself some space on that crowded cattle boat. "LOOK OUT, TANK IN THE AIR."

Then again, the over the "head method" has another advantage, you can use it to clear yourself some space on that crowded cattle boat. "LOOK OUT, TANK IN THE AIR."

You can clear space on those cattle boats by pretending to heave, too. Works like magic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom