Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of putting the tank back on, the PADI methodology is the worst possible. Once again is assumes that your on the bottom (or the surface) and it often results in divers having thier wrist tied together behind their back with a tangle of straps. Far better to get your tank out in front of you get squared away (esp, regulator hose between your arms, and slip it up and over.

I like holding the tank above in horizontal diving position, then superman swim up into the arm holes making sure the primary hose is above the right arm as it comes through; works on the bottom, mid-water and on the surface.

I can't visualize that at the surface.

At the surface the BC is inflated with the tank on top. The diver is underneath breathing off the primary reg. Swimming up into the arm holes is the same, no matter where in the water column you are.

Okay, got it. You use a modification of over the head that sounds like it works fine.

Is there any agency that actually teaches over the head donning of gear? I was actually taught that as and"option" by a PADI Instructor who was also LA County Certified.

I actually prefer it because it is quick and I feel in control of the gear. I feel the more time I spend trying to put gear on, the higher chances I have of losing balance or losing control and swinging the gear around.

I understand PADI does not approve of this and I was wondering what the origins are of this method and is it still being taught by any agencies. I don't see too many new divers donning over the head.

Getting back to the OP, one possible reason for PADI not teaching "over the head" gear donning (ala Mike Nelson) is that the PADI educational system is intended to work for everyone, from 10 y/o girls to 70 y/o grandma's. Back injuries would be a reason from the lawyers point of view, and were mentioned as the reason during my IDC.

Old school, gear changes over time, SCBA more like old school kits, most people aren't as strong as they think. NOT ALLOWED ON MY BOAT. When a law suit happens everyone in sight is involved. The operator is the one with the most insurance, who do you think the dogs go after?

Over the head above water (which the exception of sitting down on the gunwale of an inflatable) is not a good idea. However, in the water, on the surface, in the water column, or on the bottom, it is far and away the best way to go.

Frankly, from reading this thread, most of you have no idea what an overhead mount is or how it is done. N

I am late to this party, but I find the overhead donning of the Scuba Unit to be over the top (pardon the pun). What purpose does it serve, except to show the virility of the person demonstrating their lack of decision making skills.

I have seen 4 people hurt doing this. A broken thumb from a diver who got hung up in his gear, a severely bruised arm of an innocent bystander, a graze of an innocent bystander's back on a boat and a face plant of a tank as the bystander was trying to assist the other diver.

I see it as nothing more than a stunt, and a dangerous one when others are around. It's unconscionable on a boat. It's really ONLY safe in the water. Do it there if you have to macho!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom