Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Certainly in the one case yes. About the only criteria you can fail immediately for is dangerous activity and they class it as such due to risk of smacking head/someone else, throwing it at floor etc.

It's only dangerous if done improperly, just like everything else in diving.

String:
Not an issue for me anyway - i lack the upper body strength to throw 35kg of stuff over my head comfortably.

Throwing it is improper and dangerous technique.

It's only dangerous if done improperly, just like everything else in diving.

Throwing it is improper and dangerous technique.

This doesn't apply if you're throwing people who really annoy you. :eyebrow:

AL

Well Al, we were talking about SCUBA rigs. People is a whole 'nother story.

I can think of at least 2 agencies where overhead donning of a BC (on land) would immediately fail you an instructor exam.

On a BSAC PIE it would, IMO as a retired examiner, be at least very difficult to pass using this technique but it wouldn't necessarily be an automatic safety fail

If the candidate dons their equipment this way, then they would have to teach their 'trainees' to use the same technique - if they didn't then that would probably fail them. If they tried to teach it and failed to follow the STEP protocol then that would probably fail them. If they failed to allow for the physical capabilities of their 'trainees' then that would probably fail them. But if they did manage to teach the skill within STEP then it would be difficult to fail them - a lot would depend on the peer review in the examiner's de-brief and the attitude of the Boss.

Personally, as someone who suffers from back pain caused by being careless with cylinders in my youth, I'm not a fan of the technique. I'm also not a fan of the idea of using a 'silent entry' in scuba gear because of the danger of back injury but that is not prohibited and I've even seen ITs use it on IFC events, so failure to protect someone's back from potential injury is not an automatic fail.

Hickdive, what's a "silent entry?"

Hickdive, what's a "silent entry?"

A controlled entry from a seated position on the side of a boat or quay that minimises or eliminates splash noise, usually used with snorkelling gear when intending to approach marine life or when the depth of water is unknown or any obstructions cannot be seen due to poor visibility.

It involves rotating ones back whilst seated and using ones hands and arms to gradually lower the body into the water. It is, IMO, a highly dangerous procedure when attempted with the additional weight of a scuba cylinder.

I have used the over head method with horseshoe, vest, and back plate type BCD's and have never had any problems as long as there's space and it's on a stable surface.

The way i was shown was to have as little equipment hanging off the BCD as possible, put your arms thou the straps reach behind the tank and lift and let slid down your arms. I would have my buddy look over it before hitting the water to see if everything is in place.

There is nothing macho about it; i find that it's faster and more effective in some cases then having a buddy do it. But the look on the DM's face when it's done is just great.

Wouldn't recommend it if the system is weight integrated or tanks bigger then al80's

I'm CMAS certified and that's the way we learned it.
Later when I was working at a PADI centre we had to teach the students to take the gear off one arm at the time and pull it from the side and place it on the leg, etc... But as an extra I sometimes showed them the other way and many of them found it easier because they are more stable.
I've also done it on the surface (but in the water) when taking out a twinset because the harness was a bit tight and that was the easiest way and I often do it when I'm kitting up (single tank only but I use either a 12l or 15l steel) because it's easier, faster and I don't need to ask anyone for help... In this case I have the tank facing me, I put my arms through the straps to the point where my elbows go through the straps as well and I grab the tank with my hands. But the weight is supported by the elbows and, therefore, the arms, not the hands as the tank could slip. This way is safer and you don't need as much strength.

I'm CMAS certified and that's the way we learned it.
Later when I was working at a PADI centre we had to teach the students to take the gear off one arm at the time and pull it from the side and place it on the leg, etc... But as an extra I sometimes showed them the other way and many of them found it easier because they are more stable.
I've also done it on the surface (but in the water) when taking out a twinset because the harness was a bit tight and that was the easiest way and I often do it when I'm kitting up (single tank only but I use either a 12l or 15l steel) because it's easier, faster and I don't need to ask anyone for help... In this case I have the tank facing me, I put my arms through the straps to the point where my elbows go through the straps as well and I grab the tank with my hands. But the weight is supported by the elbows and, therefore, the arms, not the hands as the tank could slip. This way is safer and you don't need as much strength.
I prefer to take the tank off with the chicken wing approach that PADI now uses. The problem with the current PADI approach, however, is that it assumes you're on the bottom. It does not prepare a diver to perform the skill in midwater. So I teach it: chickenwing out of the left strap, pull the tank around in front with the right strap. Easy.

In terms of putting the tank back on, the PADI methodology is the worst possible. Once again is assumes that your on the bottom (or the surface) and it often results in divers having thier wrist tied together behind their back with a tangle of straps. Far better to get your tank out in front of you get squared away (esp, regulator hose between your arms, and slip it up and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom