Over Reef Liveaboard, Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone chartered a dive trip on this boat? Or one of their Dhoni Stella boats? Just wondering about how it went? I've found it difficult to find any reviews beside the ones on their own website. Thanks!

I haven't heard of this ship but did a quick google. Looks like a catamaran and although it looks like a new ship, maybe launched in 2019, I have done some trips in Hawaii on a catamaran and that would not be my first choice for a liveaboard. Certainly that is only one person's opinion and it may be a good operation. There are a lot of options in the Maldives. I don't buy into their idea of reduced costs because they dive off the back of the ship rather than a tender. Using a tenders is common practice in many destinations. Again, personal opinion only. Hard to compare rates as they price trips ala carte.

@aquabluegreg Curious about your thoughts on why catamaran design would not be good. I don't have a preference at the moment and have not traveled on one as a liveaboard. I agree with your thoughts on using a tender being a must (It's got to be easy to come get my butt with a tender if I have a real problem, then having to drive the ship over). Is that they only reason, or is there something else?

Very nice catamaran. Give it a whirl and post the trip report here.

I have done a catamaran liveaboard in Palau on Palau Aggressor 2. The wide & low underwater bottom make the sailing very stable in rough water. I wonder why don’t the liveaboard company use more of them?

We were able to sail through German channel in Palau where a normal boat can’t due to deep bottom.

Looks like Dan has a different take than I do and he has more experience than I do. Like I said mine was only personal opinion. I was on the Kona Aggressor when they first launched (many many many years ago) and the Kona ships are catamarans. This was my first liveaboard experience. I wasn't all that impressed with the ship. They do tend to have shallower draft and can be a bit more stable.

Has anyone chartered a dive trip on this boat? Or one of their Dhoni Stella boats? Just wondering about how it went? I've found it difficult to find any reviews beside the ones on their own website. Thanks!

How did you hear of them in the first place and may I be so bold as to ask why you are interested in them in particular?

Very nice catamaran. Give it a whirl and post the trip report here.
I have done a catamaran liveaboard in Palau on Palau Aggressor 2. The wide & low underwater bottom make the sailing very stable in rough water. I wonder why don’t the liveaboard company use more of them?
We were able to sail through German channel in Palau where a normal boat can’t due to deep bottom.

I was planning Palau as there is a direct flight from Taiwan to Palau and there maybe a travel bubble between both countries this year. One option it to stay on the island resorts and take day trips out as I would probably want a two or longer trip.

Thanks for your information.

Oh, so many posts, thank you!

I have been fortunate to go on many liveaboards around the world and I personally find the catamarans (as well as one trimaran) to be the least bothersome to my motion sickness. However the monohulls are certainly majestic with their strong bows!

This boat does have a tender, a 19ft whaler, it also has a dive deck off the back.
In response to Chilly’s question. I found them just searching the internet. I think I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube and came across the Dhoni Stella which led me to Over Reef. I chose this boat because I wanted luxury, the option to go and dive wherever I want, and no fellow passengers who will get us stuck in quarantine. The fact it is fairly new is appealing as well.

Here are the specs for those curious ... Luxury charter yacht OVER REEF | Overblue | Power yacht | 2019

I was wondering if there was anyone who may have used this company and could give me insight as to the customer service, flexibility, food, and general experience. It is a good chunk of moola, but for a private yacht and tender going around the Maldives for two weeks I found it to be quite affordable, so I thought best to check in on it. So far my dealings have been great, and prompt.

I will come back in May/June (provided we make it there with all these canceled flights, and restrictions!) and report on it for the next person wondering! Thanks!

I was planning Palau as there is a direct flight from Taiwan to Palau and there maybe a travel bubble between both countries this year. One option it to stay on the island resorts and take day trips out as I would probably want a two or longer trip.

Thanks for your information.

I went on a liveaboard in Palau and the boat, despite being hailed as luxury, was in poor shape and INFESTED with roaches. Several meals I saw a roach on my fork as I was bringing the food to my mouth! Everywhere we dove we had already dove at with PPR, we could have had a top level room at PPR for two weeks and had a much better experience for less money, and definitely better food. Maybe including an additional two nights on Ngeaur Island for a nice rounded experience to a PPR stay would cover it. Palau is one place I do not feel a liveaboard was needed. Nothing is truly remote, everywhere we dove had resort tenders next to liveaboard tenders. Hope this info helps you!

afterthought ... we dove the German Channel 5(!!!) times with the liveaboard and once with PPR and the one manta we saw was with PPR! We went in May.

Back
Top Bottom