Outriggers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks like a solution to a non existent problem and a darn good way to ruin a nice kayak.
The instability of these things is way over rated, skill and practice conquer all. N

Nemrod:
That looks like a solution to a non existent problem and a darn good way to ruin a nice kayak.
The instability of these things is way over rated, skill and practice conquer all. N
While I don't own a diveyak yet, I've been reading up on them here. Most owners state something like "you will tip over, probably several times, and when it's least desirable". Others have stated that due to the dimensions of themselves and their kayaks, fins in the water may be problematic or other manuevers become balance-challenged. While skill and more importantly practice can overcome most things, a mechanical advantage can be a good thing.
As for ruining a nice kayak, lots of people here have modified theirs for personal tastes/techniques. This may not be an option for you, but others might like the extra stability. Modifications are what can make life better, just ask 3M, it's their business. I just found this article while I was researching and thought someone might like the idea (cheap, increases stability, portable, and optional at all times).
Sorry, complete negativity gets to me sometimes...

The attachemnt is weak in the pictures you showed in my opinion with engineering background and now a couple of years with kayak ownership and use I find that particular design lacking and uneeded. A you state you have not owned one yet.
The polyethelene materail the kayaks are made of is not intended to carry wight like that---thus you saw they added the metal bracing. That will delay hull failure but only delay it, not prevent it.
Yeah, kayaks tip over, epecially when learning, there are possibilities of adding outriggers but I don't like that design at all. Further, they will slow you down, decrease manuverability, decrease portability, add weight and drag. Also, if that set up does capsize and it can and will eventually, how you planning on getting it right side up again? I have been to sea in my yak, several miles from shore. It is comforting to know that if I flip I can also UNFLIP it with no problem.
Fisherman have added outriggers so they can stand in their boats while fishing the "flats", usually shallow water about knee deep. N

not at all necessary, totally worthless on a diving kayak.

SIR VEYOR:
While I don't own a diveyak yet, I've been reading up on them here. Most owners state something like "you will tip over, probably several times, and when it's least desirable". Others have stated that due to the dimensions of themselves and their kayaks, fins in the water may be problematic or other manuevers become balance-challenged. While skill and more importantly practice can overcome most things, a mechanical advantage can be a good thing.
As for ruining a nice kayak, lots of people here have modified theirs for personal tastes/techniques. This may not be an option for you, but others might like the extra stability. Modifications are what can make life better, just ask 3M, it's their business. I just found this article while I was researching and thought someone might like the idea (cheap, increases stability, portable, and optional at all times).
Sorry, complete negativity gets to me sometimes...
I own a Diveyak and the system that you are talking about is not feasable, due to the fact it is a inflatable. I have taken it out in the ocean with three foot waves and not tipped over, but there is always a first time. Your idea seems more feasable for a hard Kayak not a inflatable one. Check out ScubaDestination.com to see a picture of a DiveYak just type in Kayak and that will get you there.

SIR VEYOR:
Hi All,
I didn't see anything like this in the forums, but I might have missed it.
Here's a link that should make the kayak much more stable, but still portable. It looks to be pretty inexpensive as well.

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=31

Sir Veyor
hi there i own a viking tempo kayak carring capacity 220kg,3.75m long and weighs 26kg(go to vikingkayaks.co.nz) i have been trying to purchase the items from kayakfishingstuff.com. kayak outriggers simply because the kayak is hard to climb back into when there is no weigh in it.thats why i believe it will be a awesome dive platform with stabilisers attached .but they tell me it is to expensive to ship to little ole new zealand. do you know any other sites i could purchase the items from whether they are seperate,together or any thing similar anything comments appreciated cheers jackbro new zealand

I have a bunch of those sit-on-top kayaks for sale and rent in our new TURUT kayak/dive/boat/tentshop. I've tried most of them. They are NOT unstable and they are fabolous for fishing. But you simply DON'T stand up in them like this!

standing.jpg

It's just stupid! -Looks kind of like silly city people from Germany who come to do some SERIOUS fishing in Norway, rents a 15 ft rowboat with a 6 hp Johnson, goes way out on the ocean and starts fishing STANDING UP in the darn dingy!

Here are some of our kayaks:

kajakk.jpg

The shop: http://www.turut.no/butikk_eng.htm

what design do like or have the reason i want to stabilise this model of kayak is because it sits out of the water slightly due to keel design being wide and the sides dont actually sit heavy in the water i suppose this to compensate for the 230 kg it is designed to take(im 98 kg)myself and my family have all used it in the surf on a lake
i just want to improve on its capabilities because the last thing you want to be do is exert all your energy trying to climb back onto a kayak that rolls over especially after a dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom