Out of Air Incident - Assistant Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like nature may take care of itself if he keeps using such ill practice. Darwin had a name for it..natural selection. Survival of the fittest.

This guy sounds more like an Assistant Moron than an Assistant Instructor. Your original post was enough but then when you added that he was freediving during his surface interval, well, let's just say this guy is an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully he won't kill anybody else when the seemingly inevitable happens to him.

Since no one else pointed this out, Dive master and master diver are two different animals. i wish they would change the name of the master divers to something else but then they could not selll the card to those that want bragging rights with out the work...... If this guy was a AI he was one of the 60 tank wonders out there.
Dadvocate:
Hi, everyone! Thanks for another interesting thread. I am very pleased to have joined this discussion board. I'd like to ask a couple of questions if I may.

I'm a PADI Advanced diver at 55 dives now (all in the tropics) and I do have aspirations at getting to master diver at some point in the future, mainly because I love the sport and want to continue pursuing skills (and mastering others) that will make me a safer diver in several environments.

My plan at the moment is to keep diving as I am and to get my own equipment by June of this summer. I just got my reg to add to my kit and am thinking about BCDs to fill in the final essential piece of my equipment. I feel as though I am a safe diver. My rating for this comes in large part due to the fact that I still take pre-dive checks seriously (modifying them as needed), and that my buoyancy and air consumption are now very much in a range that I like (consistent). Since I am a teacher by trade, I'll have the summer free to take more courses and do much more diving in my host country, the Philippines. I would also be free enough to start doing coursework for more advanced certifications.

I guess my question is at what point should I consider Master Diving courses? If the guys above are roughly at the same level I am and learning (but completely unsafe in practice), does this reflect poor experience or more a poor attitude, or perhaps both?

Hubris being a trait I can sometimes carry around on land with football (soccer for my Yank compatriots) and other sporting endeavors, I want to avoid this human trait at all costs under the water. What would you suggest be a good plan of action for getting better at pace that doesn’t have the effectiveness of your average online vocational course? Am I rushing things to consider DM courses this summer? Should I just leave well enough alone until I have logged more dives?

Cheers!

An unbendable diver??????

8 months is 243 days, more than 2 dives a day/everyday while going to school full time and teaching on the side. That's providing he stopped loggin just before the IE. He made it sound like he had stopped months ago. Yes definatley unbendable.:rofl3: His prescriptive lesson had to be the worst I've ever seen. His contact was on how he saw a diver die because her buddy was not a rescue diver:huh: I didn't even ask what he was doing during this whole episode. He did mention that he did his rescue privatley, one on one with his instructor.

I just guess he was very enthusiastic......ie I guess all things are possible.

Heck, I met a certified instructor who couldn't put the strap on her own mask, put her BCD on the tank 90 degrees out of position, and had no buoyancy control at all.

drbill:
Heck, I met a certified instructor who couldn't put the strap on her own mask, put her BCD on the tank 90 degrees out of position, and had no buoyancy control at all.

So she was PADI?

Just kidding.. No flaming please :eyebrow:

Cheers :D

Mike

Didn't I get banned the last time I made a similar innocuous joke about a DIR diver? hmmmmm....

goes to show that if you add ego and macho to ambition...shake it up and add x amount of water, you get accident looking for a place to occur. Too bad but I myself have seen it more than a few times that DM's & such, have their cards only because they won a popularity contest... and I know instructors that I'd not let my daughters dive with, there's really no (under almost any) reason or circumstance that any competent diver would have an OOA,(short of equipment failure) let alone a dive pro...
"old divers and bold divers, but no old bold divers"
Thanks for the reminder to never become complacent...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom