Ouroboros Specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know the CE version Ourobors Scrubber Duration. I have looked at some sites and the stats vary. Any users?

Thanks

scubadooberdoo:
Does anyone know the CE version Ourobors Scrubber Duration. I have looked at some sites and the stats vary. Any users?
The Ouroboros on Ron's website is the the larger 4,4kg Version2, dubbed the 'Military Ouroboros.
The one shwon at DEMA had the smaller Version1 scrubber that's listed on the website with 3kg capacity (lbs. ratings are metric lbs rather than imperial lbs, multiply by 2.2 instead of 2).

At DEMA Kevin Gurr told me the CE rating for the smaller scrubber is 2.5 hours.
The draft version of the manual available for download lists the cannister as follows:
TypeA: 2.7kg/5.9lbs duration 2.5 hrs to 0.5% CO2
measured at 40 meters (5ata) with a 1.6l/min CO2 injection rate at 40l/min RMV and 4 deg C

If you follow the link in my signature and head to the website's links section you'll find several Ouroboros specific links, including the one to the pdf file.

As far as users are concerned, one just finished his training in the Red Sea, and posted pics on Yorkshire Divers. The report wasn't there last time I looked. Another user from that class is also there.

One of the divers at Rebreather World has one on order and promised a complete teardown and buildup article.

Stefan

caveseeker7:
The Ouroboros on Ron's website is the the larger 4,4kg Version2, dubbed the 'Military Ouroboros.
The one shwon at DEMA had the smaller Version1 scrubber that's listed on the website with 3kg capacity (lbs. ratings are metric lbs rather than imperial lbs, multiply by 2.2 instead of 2).

Stefan

Is that the one you would want (the bigger one) :D

dive:
Is that the one you would want (the bigger one) :D
Honestly, I rather not. It's huge! That means moving it about is gonna be a real b!tch.
I don't know what the rating is, but if it's in the general neighborhood of either the PRISM or MK15.5 I would prefer either of those.

The Ouroboros is a very intresting design in general, and has many of the features that the Cis-Lunar MK-5P had. Elaborate electronics with deco, multiple separate batteries in multple locations, off-board gas connectors, advanced gas management (pressure sensors and digital contents gauges as well as gas isolation switches for solenoid and ADV), tertiary HUD display for system alarms, pO2 alarms and deco alarms (plus, in the Ouroboros solenoid alarm), buddy display (also more elaborate in the Ouroboros, repeating all four HUD LEDs and showing the pO2 readout) and last but not least the space for a 4th sensor (currently VR3 for independent deco calculation).

The disadvantage of all of this is that whatever you do involves pushing buttons and scrolling through menus, selecting items on screen. I've never been the biggest fan of that sort of thing which is why the simplicity of the PRISM and MK15.5 appeals so much to me. When things go wrng on either rebreather actions to be taken by the diver are considerably easier to handle in my view.

While I like some of the features, especially the gas isolation and offboard connectors, they come at the price of added maintainance. Only worth it if you need it in book.
And they could be retrofitted to other rigs, too.

Below a look at the larger unit I photographed at DEMA in Miami Beach.
As you can see, it's a pretty large rebreather. Both images my © 2003.

I was under the impression that the Ouroboros would rival the mk 15 in scrubber duration.

Does anyone know if the 'military' unit will be available to the civilian market?

scubadooberdoo:
I was under the impression that the Ouroboros would rival the mk 15 in scrubber duration.

Does anyone know if the 'military' unit will be available to the civilian market?

I have wondered about this point too. The term "military unit" is a bit misleading,
The unit is not used by any armed forces for operational duty nor was it designed for operational navy use, nor is it to a mil spec standard, nor does it have a NSN code. So therfore in the strictest sense calling it a "military version" is just a bit too misleading.

I agree with Iain here, calling it 'military version' really doesn't make much sense.
I'm suprised Kevin didn't call it 'explaration version', considerng the diving he does and the design of the unit.

I was only asking as he may decide to market it only to military customers. Navies may find it more favourable for a rebreather to be not available to civilians etc.

Anyway, does anyone know if the 'military/exploration/whatever else it could be called' rebreather will be available to the general public?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom