Our first "norte" of the season...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's that time of year again. Our first "norte" blew in yesterday afternoon and the port is closed to all boats this morning. We are waiting for the 9:00 am harbor master report to see what the rest of the day has in store for us.

Just to let you know how wrong the weather channel/site is...they are reporting NNW winds at 3mph. Actual is NNW at 20 to 25 mph.

Hopefully this one will blow through and we'll be back on schedule tomorrow!

Christi:
It's that time of year again. Our first "norte" blew in yesterday afternoon and the port is closed to all boats this morning. We are waiting for the 9:00 am harbor master report to see what the rest of the day has in store for us.

Just to let you know how wrong the weather channel/site is...they are reporting NNW winds at 3mph. Actual is NNW at 20 to 25 mph.

Hopefully this one will blow through and we'll be back on schedule tomorrow!

How long do these typically last? Are they usually short so you can get back to diving the next day? Is a norte a storm?

luvspoodles:
How long do these typically last? Are they usually short so you can get back to diving the next day? Is a norte a storm?
I think it's what we would call a norther, a weather front blowing in from the north, with nothing to stop the waves that build up in the channel.

As a Calf diver, you'd look out on the closed channel and think: "Hey, it never gets this good around the Channel Islands?!" but the harbor master will close the port so the cruise ships won't run into things - like reefs, and the boats won't try to go out in rough seas. But Christi lives there and dives there every week, so she may correct this desert dweller's opinion.

Weather is always a risk for dive excrusions, as you would know from your home waters, but they can't go to the other side of the island like your Calf liveaboads do. It's a good day to rent a car, tour the south end and back side of the island, see the sites.

I'm heading to Cozumel on Wednesday Nov. 10th. Any idea on whether the weather is going to improve or how long the Norte is going to last? I'm crossing my fingers.

rachelscott51:
I'm heading to Cozumel on Wednesday Nov. 10th. Any idea on whether the weather is going to improve or how long the Norte is going to last? I'm crossing my fingers.
not sure, but the next 8 days or so have clouds and rain predicted. So far it has been sunny during the day and windy and raining at night.
Bring a couple of long sleeves.

I apologize, and certainly didn't mean to alarm anyone. I didn't describe this very clearly.

A "norte" is simply a cold front bringing in heavier winds from the north. Sometimes they bring rain, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they blow through in a day, and sometimes they last for a few days. However, certainl no reason to cancel a trip, because you truly never know. Furthermore, depending on wwho you are diving with, you may still get out to dive. If the port is open for the larger boats, I secure spaces on a larger boat for my customers and my divemasters. My customers then have the option of diving or waiting for it to pass.

The weather today is actually gorgeous, it is just very windy and much cooler than a normal Cozumel day. It's great if you live here, but not so great for divers who want to dive.

The "port" refers to the channel and the diving/snorkeling/boating/fishing areas in general. To correct Don, the port closure in these regards has nothing to do with the cruise ships or the cruise ships hitting the reefs.

The harbor master makes the call to close the port to recreational activities based on the winds and wave height and whether he deems it safe for boating. The diving itself is not affected so much, as are the boating and surface conditions...therefore, making it unsafe to take people out diving or snorkeling. Tourism is the core of the economy here and the harbor master makes the call with the intention of keeping everyone safe. It is also dangerous and difficult to dock the boats and get customers on and off the boats at the piers as well as in and out of the water.

Sometimes the port is closed to small boats only, other times it is closed to all boats for recreational purposes. When the harbor master makes his report, he indicates what size boats can go out (ie: boats over 40 ft only is the usual). If the port is closed and boats are caught taking customers out, the fines are very high and in serious cases, certain permits can even be revoked.

I hope this clears things up a little. Sorry for the skimpy information the first time around:)

I'll be there in 23 days. I hope things improve. Thanks for the update Christi.

Look Everybody just relax.

My wife and I are going to Coz next Saturday. Norte; sunshine; hailstorm; hurricane... the weather is going to be what it is going to be. Worrying about it is not going to change it. We will get our dives in or we won't. But either way, it is just another week in our lives!

Kipling said it all... "If you can meet with triumph or disaster and treat both of those imposters just the same!" That atitude has served me well. Think about it!

Returned from Coz on Wednesday. 36 hours in Fort Worth and of to Albany on business
Snow above 1,000 feet and windy. like some kind of punishment

Thanks for all the info, but don't worry, I'm still coming. I jsut hope the weather improves, that's all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom