Ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgmonk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just recently returned from a trip to Peurto Vallarta. I was there for a wedding, but thought that at least one dive was in order. The dive was good, very good actually. In the sense that diving in my shorts is always good.

But it's what happened after the dive that I wanted to mention. Later that day I managed to step smack dab on top of a sea urchin whilst horse playing around some rocks (I know, mom, no horseplay). Anyway, my fiancé tried her best to get what she could out, but it's not easy. I had about 8 punctures, 4 straight in and 4 at an angle. I let 'em sit for 2 days, hoping they would dissolve, but after we looked into it the stories all pointed to having them removed as soon as possible. Including the redness indicating infection on the horizon.

Last Wed. we sat in the ER from noon till 4. 2 hours of that was a surgeon alternately jabbing a syringe full of anesthesia into my foot and slicing my foot open with a scalpel. So she seems to have gotten most or maybe all of them out. Two spots look like they might still have spines in them, but it could be dried blood under the skin. Can’t tell yet.

Anyway, just thought I’d share that. Also looking for any input any of you might have. Similar injuries, etc.

cheers

Well, I finally decided to go to the DR. on Wed.
One of the spots had become very sore, and while the rest of my foot had healed, I had a small bump where one of the spines had been left intact. I'd been too busy to get to a Doctor, but found a good day for it....then th damn thing popped out.

I was sitting on the couch and taking a look at my foot when I realized that the spine was potruding a quarter of an inch. I reached down and pulled out a fully intact inch long spine.

I feel great now. Looks like my foot had finally had enough.

Friends and family asked me about sharks all the time and I always told them urchins are the most harmful animals in the ocean. The best remedy I've found is to soak the affected area in water as hot as you can possibly stand it for 15-30 minutes. The spines will usually come to the surface of the skin and can be removed with tweezers.

Back
Top Bottom