Ottowa Dive in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cap335

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My girlfriend wants to go to Ottowa this october. Is there any dive sights near by or would I have to drive for hours? What would the temps be in october? She is from that area but didn't dive when she lived there so I would like her to at least make 1 day of diving in her home town. Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy

Cap335:
My girlfriend wants to go to Ottowa this october. Is there any dive sights near by or would I have to drive for hours? What would the temps be in october? She is from that area but didn't dive when she lived there so I would like her to at least make 1 day of diving in her home town. Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy

Others are going to be able to give you more info than I, since I just started diving, but we generally drive an hour to the 401 highway, where there are all kinds of dives up and down the St. Lawrence River. I think the diving IN Ottawa, per say, is lacking.

As for water temps, the others will clarify, but I've been told that you can still easily dive in October, though you'll need a thick wetsuit, gloves, hood, etc...

October's a really pretty time of year in Ottawa - I think you'll enjoy it here!

In Brockville / Rockport (which is about an hour from Ottawa) the temp should be +/-65 at the beginning of Oct and +/-55 towards the end of the month.

Cap335:

Randy

The Ottawa River is known for its poor VIS. It's kind of like diving in Red`Rose Tea. There is a wreck near Arnprior at Red Pine Bay at Braeside. As everyone else is saying. "drive the hour south of Ottawa to Morrisburg, Cardinal, Prescott, Brockville." Kingston is about a 2 hour drive from Ottawa. I think the Ottawa river cools down faster than the St. Lawrence in October.

DI_Guy

Visibility in the St. Lawrence river can be spectacular in October. I have experienced 100+ foot vis in the river near Brockville in October. However it is usually not that good. Most of the charter operators are still running then but it certainly slows down. Check the Upper St. Lawrence scuba charter association web page for links to charter operators and dive site descriptions. Depending on your level of training and experience, a trip to the Lillie Parson's and Robert Gaskin wrecks might be good for you.

Wayne A is correct about the water temperature. At that time of year it is however the air temperature that makes the difference in the diving day. If it is a bright sunny day then its just like diving in the summer except the leaves on the trees are red and orange not green. If it is a cold day then the surface interval can be miserable (especially if you are diving wet).

If you just want to do shore dives then the Rothesay, Connestoga and/or Lock 21 are easily accessible dive sites within an hour's drive of Ottawa.

I'm going to disagree with TomR about Kingston. Diving Kingston in October can be really ugly if the weather is uncooperative. It is a bigger gamble if you select Kingston in October and bottom temps are around 45F (the usual).

Enjoy your dives

Adrian

electric_diver:
Visibility in the St. Lawrence river can be spectacular in October. I have experienced 100+ foot vis in the river near Brockville in October. However it is usually not that good. Most of the charter operators are still running then but it certainly slows down. Check the Upper St. Lawrence scuba charter association web page for links to charter operators and dive site descriptions. Depending on your level of training and experience, a trip to the Lillie Parson's and Robert Gaskin wrecks might be good for you.

Wayne A is correct about the water temperature. At that time of year it is however the air temperature that makes the difference in the diving day. If it is a bright sunny day then its just like diving in the summer except the leaves on the trees are red and orange not green. If it is a cold day then the surface interval can be miserable (especially if you are diving wet).

If you just want to do shore dives then the Rothesay, Connestoga and/or Lock 21 are easily accessible dive sites within an hour's drive of Ottawa.

I'm going to disagree with TomR about Kingston. Diving Kingston in October can be really ugly if the weather is uncooperative. It is a bigger gamble if you select Kingston in October and bottom temps are around 45F (the usual).

Enjoy your dives

Adrian

I grew up near Ottawa, but I must admit I have no idea where these places are. Can you give me some idea what town(s) they are close to.

The Rothesay wreck is about 2 km west of the Prescott town center.

The Connestoga is in Cardinal, which is about 10-15 km east of Prescott.

And Lock 21 is off the Long Sault Parkway, east of Morrisburg (about 20 km or so east if I remember correctly).

The Save Ontario Shipwrecks website has a write-up of each of these sites on their Diver's Guides page: http://www.saveontarioshipwrecks.on.ca/Diverguides/diverguides.html

MaplesSharon:

I grew up near Ottawa, but I must admit I have no idea where these places are. Can you give me some idea what town(s) they are close to.

Rothesay is west end of Prescott, Conni is at Cardinal, and Lock 21 is on the Long Sault Parkway East of Ingleside.

For Lock 21 exit 401 at #778, Moulinette Road/Long Sault Parkway. Moulinette Road crosses HWY #2 and becomes The Long Sault Parkway.
Safe dives,
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom