others setting up your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
How many of these people do you trust?
the guy that serviced your regs
the guy that changed the filters on the compressor
the guy that ran the air quality test
the O2 analyzer manufacturer (you DID test your tank to make sure that it REALLY is AIR didn't you?)
the boat captain that picks you up after a drift dive

And by adding the boat guy to the list you add another link in the chain. I like to cut out as many links as I can. You're right, I can't get rid of them all. It only takes me about 3 minutes to assemble my gear. It's time well spent for me.

If I drop the first stage into the sand without the dustcap on, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to dive with that reg until I get it looked at (yes, by someone else :D ). If the boat guy drops it, maybe he doesn't think it's worth the hastle to tell me.

cornfed once bubbled...

Is that some kinda tek diver stuff?

:D

No. Just a poorly designed keyboard. They put the 'w'right next to the 'q'. Sorry it confused you. LOL.

Clearly, Scubaboard posters are not a accurate reflection of the divers I see in warm water resorts.

I'll bet not. LOL

the O2 analyzer manufacturer (you DID test your tank to make sure that it REALLY is AIR didn't you?)

All of these people have more effect on you than a person that assembled your gear on the boat.

Yes, some divers will have service their own regs, run their own compressor, do their of tank visuals (but not likely the hydros), and run their own boat; but I don't take all those things with me when I fly off to a warm water resort.

I may be lazy ("energy efficient" is the PC term), and I may rely upon trusted persons to do certain things, but that is not the same as being complacent.

If you can't quickly review your gear and determine that all is proper or not; if you can't reach your valve and check it while walking to the entry point, then you need to improve your skills.

Great points!

All of these people have more effect on you than a person that assembled your gear on the boat.

Yes, some divers will have service their own regs, run their own compressor, do their of tank visuals (but not likely the hydros), and run their own boat; but I don't take all those things with me when I fly off to a warm water resort.

I may be lazy ("energy efficient" is the PC term), and I may rely upon trusted persons to do certain things, but that is not the same as being complacent.

If you can't quickly review your gear and determine that all is proper or not; if you can't reach your valve and check it while walking to the entry point, then you need to improve your skills.

Well except for the manufacture of the analyzer and running the boat, I guess I do all that myself. I don't fly off to a warm water resort on vacation though. I head out to cave country or to the Great Lakes wrecks. If you sat around waiting for one of those boat crews to set up your gear you'd miss the dive. LOL They know better than to touch your stuff without being asked.

If you want to relax and let somebody else handle the gear on vacation I guess there's a good chance you'll survive. I just wouldn't be comfortable with it. I won't let them plan my dive for me either.

I set up my own gear, even if it's only a 40 ft reef dive. I may have a trusted buddy double check hose routing or let the DM do the same under my close supervision, but unless I specifically ask for help, then I don't want any.

I have my own routine for setting up my dive gear and performing checks and I like it that way. It's done quickly but efficiently and I never have to worry that I forgot a step when I do everything myself.

I can normally set up my gear just as quickly as I can "review" it after someone else does it. To me it's less hassle just to do it myself, then I don't have to check it to know it's right.

And I normally fill my own tanks, maintain my own gear, etc. so that takes more people out of the "chain of trust."

If there is a screw-up, then it's my fault and I accept the resonsibility, which is as it should be. Funny thing tho, I seldom seem to have any of the screw ups or horror stories I've heard other people have... Maybe I'm just lucky?

I kind of freaks me when a DM asks whick way my reg goes.

No foolin,I run my reg inverted so as not to be higher than the tank valve and therefor , upside down. They allways double check with me as to which way it goes.

.Just as I double check my gear befor rolling off the boat.

Ron

I set up my gear for the first tank, this way I know it's assembled the way I want, the tank the height I want and so forth. But I do let the boat folks switch over to my second tank.....and of course I double check everything before I get in the water.

So, I guess by Walter's standards....this makes me half lazy. :wink:

Peace,
Cathie

Ever since I had a tank o-ring blow on me during a nite dive, I always like to check them before set up. That's one thing you can't do if they set up for you. I just like to do it myself anyway. If something goes wrong underwater with your gear, you have the peace of mind of knowing that it wasn't due to someone else setting it up incorrectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom