others setting up your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only had one or two occasions where I experienced this, can't remember where now, abroad obviously, but I don't like it. That's the one I will do myself, thnx.

I think they just want bigger tips!

I'd think I would let some one set up most of my gear, with the exception of attaching my reg to the tank. I've seen people put them together backwards, hoses on the wrong side, yo name it. Plus, some people tork the yoke in so hard it damages the O-Ring or they don't center the yoke 1st and tork it down until it seats by force damaging either the 1st stage or tank valve or both.

After I've attached the reg to the tank, they can do the rest. Then I'll check it and then my buddy.

My dive gear isn't so fragile and I'm not such a nervous nellie that I'm afraid to have other people setup my gear.

Geez guys, it just takes a couple seconds to see if everything has been done correctly. You DO check your air and gear before hopping in, don't you?

Sometimes I need to adjust the tank height a bit, but the better boat crews take note of tank height and match it when changing out tanks for the 2nd dive.

CobaltWave once bubbled...
I'd think I would let some one set up most of my gear, with the exception of attaching my reg to the tank. I've seen people put them together backwards, hoses on the wrong side, yo name it. Plus, some people tork the yoke in so hard it damages the O-Ring or they don't center the yoke 1st and tork it down until it seats by force damaging either the 1st stage or tank valve or both.

After I've attached the reg to the tank, they can do the rest. Then I'll check it and then my buddy.
Do you really think someone doing hundreds of gear setups per week is going to put the reg on backward?

If you want to worry about something, worry about the tank bands, particularly if the tank is a different diameter than what you normally use. Hose routing and leaking o rings are pretty obvious. Loose tank bands are NOT obvious to a quick visual check.

On a dive trip with the Maui Dive Shop they insisted on setting up \my gear. I didn't want an argument and I allowed them to. When they finished I saw they had incorrectly set it up and did not have the tank strapped on properly. I said nothing. When lifting my tank and BC the tank slipped through and hit the deck as I knew it would.

Then in a firm but polite voice I told the hands that "if you don't know how to set things up don't pretend to" and I advised everyone to check their gear which they did.

No tips on that trip.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
On a dive trip with the Maui Dive Shop they insisted on setting up \my gear. I didn't want an argument and I allowed them to. When they finished I saw they had incorrectly set it up and did not have the tank strapped on properly. I said nothing. When lifting my tank and BC the tank slipped through and hit the deck as I knew it would.
Does Maui Dive Shop use the 6.9" diameter AL72's like Lahaina Divers does?

Outside of using an AL50 here and there, I almost always dive with the 7.25" diameter AL63, 67, and 80's. My tank band has a permanent kink at the 7.25" spot and if not careful, when using smaller diameter tanks the band will be very loose.

well, I always make sure to pre-breath both my regs and exercise both inflators while checking the SPG before I jump in. So air being off is usually not a problem. But I would not feel comfortable with other people assembling my gear. There're too many things that can be screwed up - overtightening the 1st stage on the valve, hose routings, not opening the tank valve all the way, etc. Too many things to go wrong. While most of these can be caught by going over your gear once it's set up by the crew, I'd rather not take the risk of missing something. I feel my chances of things being setup properly and catching something that is potentially amiss (a small leak, cracked hose, etc.) are much higher if I do it myself.

All that said, I have yet to go on a boat where the crew insisted on or even tried setting up my gear.

-Roman.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
My dive gear isn't so fragile and I'm not such a nervous nellie that I'm afraid to have other people setup my gear.

Geez guys, it just takes a couple seconds to see if everything has been done correctly. You DO check your air and gear before hopping in, don't you?

Sometimes I need to adjust the tank height a bit, but the better boat crews take note of tank height and match it when changing out tanks for the 2nd dive.

We, for me it doesn't have anything to do with fear or fragile ewuipment. There isn't much they can screw up that can hurt me. I just don't like people fooling with my gear. It's a service that some boats offer but I'm just not interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom