Oslob whale shark - to do or NOT do it!?

Should i do the whale shark diving?

• Yes, just do the diving

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No, do not tolerate with such uncontrolled activities

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grizzer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey guys, I am planning to do some whale shark diving at Oslob but another part of me is telling me not to do it, since there are quite some disputes on whale shark activities at Oslob, it will be supporting such activities by enrolling in it.

I am just wondering what you all think about it - to do or not to do it?
Well the feeding isn't bothering me much as there is not proven fact that the feeding is bad for the whale sharks however the touching does bother me.

Don't do it. Go see them in their natural habitat in Leyte--or see them somewhere else--La Paz Mexico in September. We have no idea idea what feeding will do--but it seems logical to me that their normal migratory patterns will be adversely effected. Will they stay in Oslob year round? What about reproduction? I know lots of people want to dive with whale sharks---and I sympathize with the locals---but I won't do it.

Seeing a whale shark is definatly on my bucket list. I dont know much about this oslob place but no i wouldnt want to feed one or touch one. Must be amazing being near such a massive creature.

I believe there are aquariums that may treat whalesharks better, not that I support aquariums...but you get my point. Yes seeing the unrestraned, in the wild is the best way to encounter whalesharks. Plus they are happier that way..

Umm, what do you suppose happens to those Whale Sharks if the local fisherman can't profit off them with tourists? Do you think they just say "oh how pretty" and let them go?

I dove there a couple years ago. Was with a group that decided to go and didn't really know much about it at the time. Certainly not as good as getting to see one "in the wild", as they were mostly on the surface and there was a petting zoo atmosphere about it (not that there was touching, but can't think of a better term.) Some clarifications-
-the rules say no touching and to stay a certain distance away. This seemed to be followed by divers, not sure about snorkelers. I can see where there could be at least incidental contact with snorkelers simply because they're both on the surface and the rules say nothing about what the sharks can do...
-you don't get to feed them yourself
-they're not restrained in any way (other than the free lunch, which they don't all necessarily seem to show up for all the time. There were only a few there when we dove, which I think is a subset of the individuals that might show up.)

There were plenty of rules, and a required briefing on the rules, but at the same time the whole thing seemed pretty disorganized and seemed like it could be run better. I would say the main concern with this is how it might affect the behavior of the animals. And I often saw the fishermen feeding the sharks push or kick them away from their boats, not sure exactly why, and I wasn't too happy to see that. It clearly does something for the local economy, and if this hadn't developed might be one of those things where the sharks wouldn't be as well off. Supposedly whale shark protection rules led to the feeding starting (ironic as that is) and the business presumably provides some incentive for the locals to protect them, possibly more than rules do.

Yes indeed and bloody oath there is an alternative. Open your eyes and see what happens in Sogod or Donsol. Its called a sanctuary. The fishermen are subsidised in part by the protective marine park fees. Have fun with the several hundreds of korean and chinese snorkellers crawling all over the sharks in oslob ukdave!

IMHO, feeding Whale Sharks and attracting tourists is better than finning them just to make a living. So, go ahead and enjoy Oslob and spend some tourist dollars. Yes, it is true that no one knows what will happen to the Whale Sharks if they get used to being hand-fed. Oslob might just turn out to become what Stingray City is to Grand Cayman except it will be full of Whale Sharks. If you make the villagers stop this activity, they'll just end up killing them for their fins. At least, this way, the Sharks that visit Oslob are being protected. You have to remember, Oslob is a fishing village. Having over-fished the area, it would be very easy for them to resort to shark finning just to make ends meet. At the same time, Oslob is learning to appreciate these creatures. It also good education for them.

As for the touching, I support the no-touch rule. I belive the tour operators have to make it a point to remind their guests to respect the no-touch rule. But, there would always be guests who will step beyond the boundaries. I believe merely touching and feeling the whale shark with your hands won't stress them. If they do then those pesky remoras that usually hitch a ride on them would have been enough to kill them. If touching can be minimized or completely avoided then I think those Whale Sharks will be OK.

Whaleshark is a protected species in Philippines but it does not mean that the local won't do anything harmful to the creature.
Didn't someone posted a picture of a dying whaleshark with the fins removed in Anilao(?) few yrs ago?

I have been lucky to have seen whaleshark twice in a natural environment so I won't go to Oslob. But I have no problem for those who wanted to go there.
When you are there make sure you show a proper manner and never ever criticize the local in a condescending way. They are the HOST and you are guest of the country.

If you make the villagers stop this activity, they'll just end up killing them for their fins.

That's nonsense and a pathetic excuse. Other places protect whale sharks and organise whale shark watching without feeding and taming the sharks. Over 100 different whale sharks have been identified at Oslob in the past 12 months, compared with over 400 at Donsol in the past 6 years. So a huge proportion of the whale sharks seen in Philippine waters are affected by what's happening at Oslob.

Back
Top Bottom