OS Systems drysuit - feedback requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey all...I bought a scubaboard dry suit which is in great shape. however, it just doesn't fit as well as I'd hoped so I'm in the market. I met with a guy today who does repair (after seeing a few already) and we all came to the same conclusion - it isn't going to work.
So, he introduces me to the line he sells (ok ok of course he says the suit won't fit but it really doesn't fit right). I need full custom (I've done a lot of looking at size charts and trying things on). So, his suit comes in at a somewhat reasonable price but I don't know anyone diving the OS Systems drysuit. It's a shell suit & is a reasonably complete package (bag, under garmets (2 types), pocket) but I wanted to check to see what's out there. I did do a search and didn't find a ton of discussion on this suit.
What can you share? I'm pretty new at diving (~6 months, 90 dives) but know I'll be doing NE dives (wrecks baby!), caves (have cert), & more so I want something that will work in these applications where possible. I don't need perfect to start but my first suit should work. If I can save some $ while at it, I'd be a happy new diver.

Finally, what questions do I ask? He told me about the boots & the material & the blah blah blah...500 denier means as little to me as 3.8 millishotings (yes this is a made up word). Do I ask things like: "Does it come with suspenders?" Do I care? Do I ask ...well, what else? Thanks for helping a drysuit newbie.

I have an OS front entry suit with the zipper folding infront and around the torso. It is ok, nothing spectacular. The pocket is funny shaped on mine, and I don't use it. I bought it used for really cheap. But I'm guessing its is about 8 years old. The only nice part is the thing is easy to patch. The zipper takes some getting used to in the water, or it did for me because it doesn't flex with the body. Any more questions about it, or issues your having with it just ask. oh as for suspenders the strap that holds the zipper down can be looped over your shoulder when out of the water, makeshift suspender.

I appreciate your feedback and thoughts as well as your willingness to assist. I've not yet purchased the OS Systems suit - that's why I am in search of feedback/input from those who already have them. Financially, it's not a bad deal..shell suit, 2 sets of undergarments, bag, 2 pockets, all for < $2K. however, if it's not going to hold up or be comfortable to wear & do its job, it isn't worth $200. On the other hand, for the price, if it'll last a couple years be comfortable and warm, I'm in. thanks again.

My first suit was an OS suit (Nautilus) that I picked up used on ebay ($375 complete with undergarments and new seals). The fabric while thin is very abrasion resistant. When I sold the suit after a couple of years it looked the same as when I purchased.

Mine had the rear zipper so it did need somebody to help me zip up.

My only issue was this model was just a pure jumpsuit and was baggy in the legs. All in all a great way to start. If you are going to spend 2K you have lots of options including Bare, pinnacle, Diving Concepts etc that might provide more options (included great pockets.).

I've been diving the OS Systems HD pro for over 4 years now. Had seals replace4d4 once4 due4 to a bad batch of glue from a particular run. It was only the left wrist that leaked but they replaced all (both wrists, neck) at no charge. Sent it to our local rep who either did it or had it done. Don't know and don;t really care cause they did a great job. I dive wrecks and lots of cold water. I have never had an issue with mine. The material is extremely abrasion resistant. It is easy to get off and on by myself. I like the suspenders and front zipper. Mine has a relief zipper which I'd not go with again. too small for my hands and difficult there fore to extract mr winkie when I need to go. I'm getting a pee valve installed now due to that and I'm doing longer dives with deco at times.

I had to go semi custom for mine due to my legs being shorter than their stock size. If you are going full it will fit based on your measurements and if it does not they will take it back and fix it or remake the suit. I'd suggest get measured wearing sweats and round up if it's below. I have both sets of undergarments and they worked well until my measurements changed a little. Damn overdeveloped stomach muscles:=). And due to some shoulder workouts from rehabbing a tear they got a little tight. I also seem to get cold easier as I get older and went with the new Pinnacle merino undergarment. Nothing wrong with the OS one just not quite working for me anymore. In fact if anyone needs a heavy undie to fit 5'7" 135-150 lbs I'll make ya a good deal. I highly recommend this suit. Be sure that whoever measures you follows the instructions to the letter for a full custom. There are like 60 seperate measurements they should do.

If you are looking at just under $2k you have lots of options with suits. I would say thats a bit high for an OS suit. They sell used for under $500 with undies. The 2 pair are nice, but if your diving in the northeast, they aren't the warmest. I wear both the fleece, and the over suit during the winter with underarmor as well, so it gets bulky. The other thing with comfort, the interior of mine anyway is like a plasticy material, and will tear hair on legs and arms if you wear it in warmer weather.

I buy all of my latex seals and glues from OS Systems. I have one of their surface suits that has been good to me for years. With that said, I would recommend at least looking at a White's Fusion. If you use the search feature and type in "fusion review" you will find some excellent information.

Been diving the OS HD pro for a long time. Very durable suit. Super easy to repair. You can actually use duk tape in a pinch. Overall, good quality and reasonable price.

I just bought a new OS SARS ds to replace a ds that was stolen off a friend's porch up in Maine ( warning, never lend your ds to a wetsuit driven diver - don't ask, I won't tell), and have two dives so far on it. It dives well once I dialed the proper level of weights. I like the suit's construction, very solid throughout, easy to don and doff, maintenance on the suit would be a breeze since I tend to dive in remote locales where self sufficiency is important. I had an extra pocket added to the left thigh and will put in a pee valve soon.

For the money, I think it's a great suit. Not too crazy about the undies they make though, any thoughts in that dept. would be great.

Back
Top Bottom