Orlando area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter McGuinness

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be in Orlando for a few days in June, and I may be able to get away for one day of diving.
What do you recommend that will get me at least a couple of dives in that area; I won't have a buddy so it will need to be with a commercial outfit, or maybe someone on the board is up for a little mid-week adventure?

cheers,
Peter

if all you have is one day of diving, i would suggest a drive down to WPB or so,
and doing some boat diving and/or shore diving

alternatively, you could go to Daytona. not as great, but still fairly good diving.
water should be warm enough by now.

if you want to do fresh water, you could go to Blue Spring, for a peek at a
small cavern-cave complex (can't carry a light unless cavern certified)

or you could combine a 2-tank dive off Daytona in the morning and then dive
Blue Spring in the afternoon.

if you're diving during a weekend, let me know and i'd love to join you

H2Andy:
if all you have is one day of diving, i would suggest a drive down to WPB or so,
and doing some boat diving and/or shore diving

alternatively, you could go to Daytona. not as great, but still fairly good diving.
water should be warm enough by now.

if you want to do fresh water, you could go to Blue Spring, for a peek at a
small cavern-cave complex (can't carry a light unless cavern certified)

or you could combine a 2-tank dive off Daytona in the morning and then dive
Blue Spring in the afternoon.

if you're diving during a weekend, let me know and i'd love to join you
You have choice of West Coast , East Coast. Two different dives. I like West Palm Beach Drift Diving. There might be closer dives but that is where I go when I am working Orlando.

Peter McGuinness:
Hi,
I will be in Orlando for a few days in June, and I may be able to get away for one day of diving.
What do you recommend that will get me at least a couple of dives in that area; I won't have a buddy so it will need to be with a commercial outfit, or maybe someone on the board is up for a little mid-week adventure?

cheers,
Peter

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I will drive down to the WPB area and go out on a boat from there; the caverns/springs look interesting but I can't pass up the chance to get some warm water ocean diving in.

It's too bad I can't stay for a weekend,or I would take up your offer of a dive. Maybe sometime in the future; and if you are ever in SoCal, don't forget to let us know. We have a very hospitable crowd here (especially if you bring something to put on the grill!)

Peter

If you are heading south to WPB you could also try Jupiter Beach, a little closer to Orlando. I go out with Jupiter Dive Center. They are a good outfit and will put you on Sharks and many other cool stuff. Their prices are good as well, about 50 to 75 for a two tank dive, depending on weather you go Nitrox or not. They do offer Nitrox certification if you are not certified and are interested. I strongly reccommend it.

If you are going as far south as WPB, go just a few minutes more and dive Boyton Beach. ScubaKevDM DMs off of Splashdown Divers and there is always the Loggerhead!

My daughter and I dove at the Living Seas at Disney World Epcot Center. It was fun going behind the scenes. Very safe dive. Sharks, turtles and lots of fish. Would do this again. Of course, being from Michigan and diving there at Christmas time helped. Any diving in winter is good diving for a Michigander.

Peter, let me know when you plan on coming down and the where/when of the dive. I may be able to get away for a day and dive with ya. I can make the drive up to Jupiter or WPB, whatever you decide.

Excellent operations are A1A Divers in Riveria Beach (WPB). Look up Baitedstorm profile - she's a greeter here on the board and works out of A1A Charters. An excellent diver and just a lot of fun to hang out with!

Splashdown Divers with ScubaKev DM is excellent out of Boynton Beach as well. Keven makes that operation work. Awesome diver and in general, great guy to be around. If you can't get on Splashdown Divers, then Loggerhead is also an excellent operation - just a few slips down from Splashdown.

I dive up and down the coast a few times a month. People are always going out so you shouldn't have any problems finding a boat for a day trip.

STRONGLY recommend you take The Florida Turnpike south - do NOT take I-95 south out of Orlando. Take the turnpike south to Indianhead Road (Can't remember the Mile Marker, but it's in Jupiter). Get off the Turnpike and get immediately on to I-95 south. You will have saved some serious time! Head south to Blue Heron Blvd. Get off at Blue Heron and turn left (going back under I-95). Head down Blue Heron to US1. Turn right (should be a Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy on your right - on the corner). Head to 13th street. Turn left and it dead ends into Riveria Beach Marina. The dive operations are on the left side of the marina.

The instructions don't change much for Boynton Beach. Get off at Indianhead Road and get on I-95 south. Head south to Boynton Blvd (exit 58) Turn left and go down the road to Federal Hwy. Turn Right then do an immediate left on to Ocean. About a block down, you'll see an enterance for a restraurant on your left. Turn there and the dive operations will be on your right.

Hope you find these suggestions helpful. Let me know if you need additional information.

Lee

ScubaMarine:
Peter, let me know when you plan on coming down and the where/when of the dive. I may be able to get away for a day and dive with ya. I can make the drive up to Jupiter or WPB, whatever you decide.

I will be in Orlando 20th - 23rd June, and plan to sneak away for diving on the weds (22nd). That way I can fit in a 24hr no-fly time. I will probably dive nitrox in the PM just to add a little margin, as well.

So far, I have found only one operation which is definitely going out Am and Pm on the weds, which is Ocean Quest Scuba but their website doesn't say exactly where they are located (all it says is "West Palm Beach area") DO you have an opinion on theor operation?

It will be great if we can meet up for a dive - it's always good to have a friendly face in town!

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom