Oriskany update - Charlotte dead!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
I think the lifespan of an Octopus is around 1 year, no?
Can be. Depending on when the eggs are laid, and other environmental factors, generally 12 to 24 months.
After playing with 'em for years, I'm of the opinion that it's a good thing - they're so smart in a year that if they lived 50 they'd rule the earth! :D
Rick

Sadly, I heard stories of a diver pulling her out of her nest to "play" with her. Hopefully it was just her time, and he didn't hurry her along.

Life span can be anywhere from 3 months (smaller species) to 3-5 years (large pacific species). Most do die after laying eggs, but usually right after they hatch, not before.

nferra2:
Life span can be anywhere from 3 months (smaller species) to 3-5 years (large pacific species). Most do die after laying eggs, but usually right after they hatch, not before.
This particular octopus was a vulgaris.
We hope the eggs hatched before her demise.
Rick

Actually, she died prior to her eggs hatching and yes now both Octopus (Charolette and Gracie) are dead from overly friendly divers. Gracie was stabbed by a diver, a local DM witnessed it but the guy was from another boat. None of the eggs hatched. Very sad we can't just leave them alone and enjoy watching.

That sucks big time. Maybe another few will take up residence there and when I finally dive the big "O", they will be there.

Michael

seadoggirl:
Actually, she died prior to her eggs hatching and yes now both Octopus (Charolette and Gracie) are dead from overly friendly divers. Gracie was stabbed by a diver, a local DM witnessed it but the guy was from another boat. None of the eggs hatched. Very sad we can't just leave them alone and enjoy watching.
Lucky for us, there's no shortage of larval octopi in the plankton to fill the gap, and the O'Boat should have plenty.
But...
This killing of octopi on their hatch is a bad and sad situation. Without mom to aerate and protect them, the eggs will quickly be eaten by crabs & fish, and tens of thousands of larvae will never enter the plankton - right now it's a habitat limited system (there are plenty of larvae to populate any available habitat), but if we kill enough egg-sitting females we can change the balance and screw up the population.
So, WE need to get the word out at the local level, before folks ever go to the ocean, that octopi with eggs are not to be bothered. I suspect that the divers messing with these octopi were ignorant of the presence of eggs in both cases, so we need to show pictures of what egg masses look like, and emphasize how to look for them.
There's a real easy way to tell if an octopus is ok to play with - if the octopus comes out to play, fine. If it stays in its lair and shows no interest in you, leave it alone. Moms on eggs aren't playful; leave 'em be.
Even if you're harvesting octopus for food, check for eggs & leave 'em be when eggs are there. Killing sitting moms is killing the golden goose.
The loss of these two with eggs reveals a GREAT GAP IN OW TRAINING!
Rick

Rick Murchison:
....The loss of these two with eggs reveals a GREAT GAP IN OW TRAINING!
Rick

Unfortunately, the list of those that were observed handling (harrassing) them includes a scuba instructor and a divemaster.

I am looking to get certified in the pensacola - orange beach area. Can someome pm me with which shop the instructor was from so I can avoid it. The three top shops on my list are Dive pros, MBT and Gary's Gulf divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom