Oriskany update - Charlotte dead!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He's an independent instructor and not from the Pensacola area.

Disclaimer! - This is second hand information derived from discussions with boat captains and crew members over a several week period.

There were two females on the O with eggs at the same time. As the eggs become more transparent they are developing and growing then you can see the babies. The female dies because she is starving herself protecting and feeding her eggs.

I've seen up to 4 on that wreck.

seadoggirl:
Actually, she died prior to her eggs hatching and yes now both Octopus (Charolette and Gracie) are dead from overly friendly divers. Gracie was stabbed by a diver, a local DM witnessed it but the guy was from another boat. None of the eggs hatched. Very sad we can't just leave them alone and enjoy watching.

Oh bummer! I didn't see this when I posted last. I saw one had died but didn't know the other had been stabbed. That's unbelievable!! But then I've seen some unbelievable stuff DM'ing on the O. sheesh!

Dana-

2 weeks ago Brian and I saw 2 large octopi on the flight deck (dinner plate sized).

saw one saturday
IMG_0292copy.gif

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=197420

seadoggirl:
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I am so sad! Charlotte the Octopus (one of the Octopus) on the Oriskany appears to be dead. She has left her eggs and it appears that someone was over friendly and inadvertently killed her. :shakehead Please remember basic scuba stuff like... don't touch the marine life!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I have to admitt that Ive handled crabs while diving and seen lobsters being handled.
Most of the crabs ive handled became dinner the same night (not for me tho). Lobsters have too big claws for me to wanna touch them and its also illegal to take them while SCUBA diving here, including in the fishing season thats the only legal time to take them in ANY way.
Harassing nesting creatures of ANY kind, wether they are above or under water should be punishable by jailtime IMO..

My dive instructor one time came and visit this male giant octopus in Carmel Bay, California. Unfortunately the octopus had a heart attack and died.

Yes indeed, more octopus on the Oriskany. We found two on the flight deck at 140' under a large piece of metal. They are very curious and one came out to look at us up close. He even reach out and touched the other divers hand with his arm. It was very cool. The other diver was from Maryland and they were jazzed that they got to see the 5' octopus. I am getting very protective and not telling people where the octopus live now that some #$%^ has killed the other two that had babies.

I've also been researching Octopus and they are very intelligent creatures. Did you know that they can't hear, but their eye sight and taste sense is excellent? They taste through each of the little suckers on their arms (Octopus have arms not tenticles). So if they touch you, consider yourself licked! There is a youtube video of an octopus eating a shark. Very cool.

How very sad, why are people so cruel.

Back
Top Bottom