Oriskany Sep 2010 - split from Morrison's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Spree was just at the Oriskany and Capt Frank posted a report. Apparently, the O is already falling apart. Part of the tower has collapsed on the deck. He said it's in bad shape compared to the Speigel.

If you look at Dive-aholics' post, you can see my concern. It doesn't matter what Capt. Frank's post was, it caused an otherwise intelligent and savvy board member to take away, and rebroadcast, the impression that "the O is already falling apart" and "it's in bad shape compared to the Speigel". The Gulf Coast has suffered tremendously from bad press from the BP disaster and has learned all to well how careless comments can have lasting effects. I have great respect for the Spree Operation and my fellow board members. I'm just making the point that we all need to be careful what we say. Point is; the "O" is a great dive, always has been and still is. Pensacola has over a hundred sites to dive, is accessable to all skill levels and is a great dive destination. Just be careful what you say. Y'all come see us and decide for yourselves.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

Why in the world do people complain when a wreck starts to look... like a wreck?

I feel that the light sheet metal that has collapsed onto the deck from what was once the smoke stack makes the wreck a much better dive. Now you have a swim though right in the middle of the tower, how much more can you you ask for? The wreck is a whole different dive now that the smoke stack is gone, if you haven't dove it with the swim thru then it's time to come back!!:wink:

If you look at Dive-aholics' post, you can see my concern. It doesn't matter what Capt. Frank's post was, it caused an otherwise intelligent and savvy board member to take away, and rebroadcast, the impression that "the O is already falling apart" and "it's in bad shape compared to the Speigel". The Gulf Coast has suffered tremendously from bad press from the BP disaster and has learned all to well how careless comments can have lasting effects. I have great respect for the Spree Operation and my fellow board members. I'm just making the point that we all need to be careful what we say. Point is; the "O" is a great dive, always has been and still is. Pensacola has over a hundred sites to dive, is accessable to all skill levels and is a great dive destination. Just be careful what you say. Y'all come see us and decide for yourselves.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

Um...I'm Dive-aholic, the one that originally posted that. BTW, it's not stopping me from diving the Oriskany. In fact, I'll be on the Spree for 3 days of diving the Oriskany at the end of this week, falling apart or not. The Doria is also falling apart, so much that decks that were previously difficult to penetrate to are now much easier to get to. I didn't take his comments as negative and didn't post that as a negative comment. Maybe you're only taking offense because some of us choose to head out there on the Spree instead of with you...

Hi everyone i will be in fl in a few weeks and want to dive the Oriskany. I just do not know where to go for a charter and rooms. Any help would be great.

Joe

Raptor,
For a 6 pack boat, try Capt. Jim on the "Dr. Dive" - also in on this thread
For a larger boat, try Capt. Douglas on the "H2O Below" - (850) 291-3501

For diver friendly rooms try:
Suburban Lodge - (850) 453-4140
Sole' Inn & Suites - (850) 470-9298

Jim
MBT Divers
Pensacola
(850) 455-7702

We just used MBT for tanks and H2o Below for the charter. I highly recommend H@O Below, the boat, the Captain and crew all great!

Um...I'm Dive-aholic, the one that originally posted that. BTW, it's not stopping me from diving the Oriskany. In fact, I'll be on the Spree for 3 days of diving the Oriskany at the end of this week, falling apart or not. The Doria is also falling apart, so much that decks that were previously difficult to penetrate to are now much easier to get to. I didn't take his comments as negative and didn't post that as a negative comment. Maybe you're only taking offense because some of us choose to head out there on the Spree instead of with you...
Glad you are still diving it, glad you like the Spree. I've been interested in diving with them for some time. No aspersions on the Spree, the Capt, or you. Hope they will still have me aboard.
Just making the point that we all need to be careful what we say, how we say it and how it might be interpreted. Me included. If my original post was harsh, I apologize. If I misunderstood your comment, again I apologize. I actually never saw the original comments, I was only making the point of some original element being reposted/rebroadcast out of context and how it can be (mis)interpreted. If the Capt's original post wasn't negative, thanks to him. If your comments weren't intended to be negative, thanks to you.
Bottom line is we are all in the same business and need to support each other. I'm not taking offense because customers went with the Spree instead of with me. If someone had called me and asked for a 3 day liveaboard trip to the "O", I would have sent them to the Spree. My boat ain't big enough to sleep on and my wife says I can't cook. I would hope that if someone called the Spree and asked for a 2 tank charter to the "O" on a fast, comfortable boat that would have them back at the dock in time for lunch, they would recommend Dr Dive, or any of several other excellent operators in Pensacola.
Anyway, 'nough said. We saw the Spree at the "O" today. Very beautiful vessel and very professional operation. Always good to see divers enjoying the "O". We saw another whale shark there today. I was glad to see them there, and hope they will come back. I also hope folks will come visit Pensacola, regardless of vessel or operation. It's a great destination. Y'all come see us.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive

We just got in from 3 days on the Oriskany aboard the M/V Spree. Flat calms seas, 60 foot visibility, red snapper, black grouper, mahogany snapper, queen angels, arrow crabs, jacks, clams-spawning, reef sharks, bull shark, eagle ray, pod of dolphin, goliath grouper, and ...... whale shark cruising the fantail of the Spree during deco.

100 trimix and technical dives.......... a great trip had by all.

Oh yeah, man that boat is BIG. World's LARGEST artificial reef aboard one of the world's largest technical dive vessel.

It's always great to be with Capt. Frank!

Cheers

JDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom