Oriskany ("O" Boat) update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ranger fits the size description in the Dive Training mag, but is it a Forrestal class carrier?

In response about, possible de-commisioned aircraft carriers that could become artificial reefs. While the Saratoga is currently in Rhode Island, don't look for her to be sunk as an artifical reef anytime soon. While i'm currently located in chicago i've grew up in RI all my life. With Battleship Cove (really cool place) right up the road in Fall River, MA, I believe the plans are to turn the Saratoga into a floating museum, to honor all those who have served in the armed forces. For people in New England, the plan for an artificial reef was supposedly the old Jamestown bridge connecting Narragansett to Jamestown. But due to lack of funding, and the escalating cost of dismantling the bridge, well the bridge is just rusting. People should look into writing to local representatives/congressional people. I've written in the past, one would think that with all the pork-belly spending going on in congress, that a few million would be used to better the ocean environment, and be a boost for the local economy through tourism. Just a thought, too bad i live so far away, diving an aircraft carrier sounds like fun.

The Saratoga has been sitting around in "possible donation to museum status" for quite some time, and the Navy is pretty much fed up with waiting. Unless somebody picks up the tab, she's gonna get sunk along with the others.

Would love to watch them sink the Oriskany. Heard from our cave instructor yesterday that the sinking will be July 3-4. He said the boats are beginning to fill up for the ride out, anyone know who to contact to get on a boat?? and is anyone interested in going. Bill Rennager, our instructor, was invited to go , and he said they would be diving the next day, wouldn't that be a great trip??

Awesome. I sure hope it lands right-side up lol... the 'next day dive' sounds great! Who are you going with for THAT dive?
madeline:
SNIP...Bill Rennager, our instructor, was invited to go , and he said they would be diving the next day, wouldn't that be a great trip??

madeline, i am going to be out of the country, otherwise, i'd be there with
(scuba) bells on

Ah yes, scuba bells..."Scuba bells, scuba bells, scuba all the way..."

What? You do have Christmas in July in Florida, don't you? :madnoel:

hahaha... the sinking is like an awesome Christmas present... in July...

:eyebrow:

"Splashing through the water, with a dive propulsion vehicle.
To the wreck we glide, decending all the way! (glub, glub , glub)"

OK. I've obviously had too much caffeine (or Stachybotrys mycotoxins) this morning!

Back
Top Bottom