Oriskany and Dutch Banks 10-1-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gary's Gulf Diver(Orange Beach, AL) organized a trip to the Oriskany on ScubaBoard in the Dixie Diver forum(posting here because of dive site locations). I was at Gary's a bit before 7AM with fry21 already in the parking lot. Paulwall followed shortly after and we all filled out our releases, paid up, and headed to Sportsman's Marina to load the boat. USCGflyer and alcrmsntde followed shortly afterwards. We loaded up the Cat-N-Around(30' HydroCat w/twin 225s) and were on our way. The boat is fast(really fast), spacious for a 6pack, has a marine head, and freshwater rinsedown. We were onsite in about 1.5 hours after launching out of Orange Beach, AL. Seas were running about a foot and the weather was perfect.

Once onsite, we were the only boat onsite, the divemaster tied into one of the mooring bouys. Visibility before the thermocline was 50-60'. The thermocline sat around 100' with visibility extending to about 80' at that point. Water temps in the low-mid 80sF above the thermocline and upper 70sF underneath. The boat is enormous, simply huge. The stack came into view when were at 20'. Baracuda hung around the mooring bouys and large schools of baitfish, red snapper, and small AJs hung around the wreck with tropicals and arrow crabs filling most every nook and cranny. I saw my first trumpet fish too :D We descended to the deck first and peaked inside of a few of the open hatches at flight deck level. My computer showed 139'(eanx28%), although I think its off a bit. After the short visit to the deck, we ascended and started exploring some of the upper decks. We stuck to the portside of the ship since it blocked the currents off our dive. We explored the command and flag bridges and started our ascent up the bouy line while watching the ship below us. While on the line, I could see myself sillouetted(sun behind me) in a distorted(fisheye-ish) reflection on all the bubbles coming from the divemaster below - it was actually pretty cool - the camera would have come in handy! I did a 2 min safety stop at 60' and a 3 min stop at 15' - the computer required neither. Dive lasted a total of 31 minutes.

Down Under Dive Shop(Gulf Shores, AL) had their 46' Newton and the H20 Below(36'? Newton - they run for several shops and book privately as well - not sure which case it was today) were moored by the time we reboarded the boat. Both boats had full loads, ick. Captain had fresh fruit and drinks of all sorts on board for the surface interval. Our surface interval lasted a bit over an hour before we splashed again. All but a few tech divers from the two cattleboats had completed their dive. This time I was diving a 37% mix and we stayed shallower than 100' exploring more in depth the upper bridge up front and the bridge in the back as well as peaking into a few more open hatches. I saw a few more tropicals that I hadn't seen before and we made a few laps around the superstructure. We explored the upper portions of the island a bit more before heading up the line. A few safety stops(again not required by my computer) completed my 34 minute dive. Off we headed back home with more drinks in hand and a divemaster grilling us up some jumbo dogs for lunch! Couldn't ask for a better crew or boat!

I guess were making exceptional time because Captain Gary asked if we had a bit of air left for a third dive on the way home. The bouy was dropped within a few feet of the reef on Dutch Banks and we were in the water again ~an hour & 45min after our final Oriskany dive. Visibility was a bit soupy at around 20-30' with large schools of both snapper and amberjack throughout the water. There were also alot of moonjellies. We spotted several tropicals, black snapper, a few triggers, and flounder onsite. I took two decent flounder, leaving a few other barely legals to get bigger. I hit a max depth of 78' for a short dive lasting a mere 20 minutes.

Fantastic day of diving! Hound Paulwall and fry21 for UW pictures to be posted, I still haven't replaced my flooded cam. Although I did bring one of my dSLRs for a few surface shots.

Odive156.jpg

Life is good!

Sounds like you guys had a great dive! Nice report!

SuPrBuGmAn:

Once onsite, we were the only boat onsite, the divemaster tied into one of the mooring bouys.

Mooring Bouys? huh? I didn't realize they had mooring bouys on the ship.

Earlier they said expressly that they weren't going to put them on the ship. Of course I heard rumor that some "unofficial" bouys might be there. (are they sub surface?)

mike_s:
Earlier they said expressly that they weren't going to put them on the ship. Of course I heard rumor that some "unofficial" bouys might be there. (are they sub surface?)

There are atleast 3 subsurface bouys that were placed by some of the Pensacola charters. They weren't placed by the state or the Navy or anything like that... They sure make it easier to tie in though.

Great Report Mat. It is always a pleasure to have good Divers on board.
We are always ready to go to the Mighty "O" as well as other Dive sites.

I would have liked to see your pictures - maybe next time? One of these days I'll head out there too.

SuPrBuGmAn:
There are atleast 3 subsurface bouys that were placed by some of the Pensacola charters. They weren't placed by the state or the Navy or anything like that... They sure make it easier to tie in though.

Makes sense to have them.

FWC and the Corp of Eng was initially worried about putting mooring bouys in navigatable waters though. I guess FWC isn't enforcing them putting them there though.

Good thing they are sub-surface. Otherwise we'd go out there and find 3 fishing boats tied up on them right on the island.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Fantastic day of diving! Hound Paulwall and fry21 for UW pictures to be posted, I still haven't replaced my flooded cam. Although I did bring one of my dSLRs for a few surface shots.

Sigh, my film refused to rewind, and I fear the pics are ruined. So, thus ends my photography career.

LOL and D'Oh, all that the same time. :/

I really need to post a mishap report... including your failed snorkle trip. USCG's flightdeck mishap, me almost rolling off the boat without fins, drowned computers, and loose wingnuts :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
LOL and D'Oh, all that the same time. :/

I really need to post a mishap report... including your failed snorkle trip. USCG's flightdeck mishap, me almost rolling off the boat without fins, drowned computers, and loose wingnuts :D

Argggg. What happens on the high c's stays on the high c's...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom