Ordered BP/W - Weight Pocket Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny:
The order for my DSS rig has been made with my LDS and will be sent to Tobin tomorrow. I'm so excited!

However, have one last question about tank weight pockets. My LDS has both the XS Scuba pockets (velcro) and Halcyon (with plastic clip). I like the general size and configuration of the XS, but am a touch concerned with anything holding weight which is secured by velcro.

Experiences, anyone? Recommendations?

Hi there. I have both the xs scuba pockets and the H pockets, they both work great and I have never had a problem with either. I prefer to use the XS pockets if I am adding them to the waist strap of the BP. If you are using them as trim weights attached to the tank cambands, the nice thing about the H pockets is that they are smaller and make it easier to secure the tank strap. The XS pockets are much wider, and don't leave much room, especially if you have one on each side of the tank on the same band. They still work ok, just not as nicely as the H ones. If price is the concern, certainly the XS pockets are significantly cheaper. Which model of BP/W did you choose?
Good Luck,
Jason

I got beat to it, but I also experemented with the XS Scuba pockets and had a couple of problems. I had one with the velcro attachement and one without. The velcro attached one was always loose, and tended to move around alot, and even fell off during a night dive, even though it was very secure before the dive. I also had a problem with the non-velcro attached one on my cam strap. It opened up during a dive, and when i flipped over, head down, to look at something, the weight flew past my head and into a few inches of silt. It was very annoying to get that one back. Anyways, I would reccomend not going with the XS scuba pockets. I bought a DUI weight and trim harness and love it. It is a bit of an investment, but in the scheme of things Id much rather pay more and not have to worry about losing my weights.

Thought I'd bring this alternative up, because most folks don't know about them...

Apeks makes a weight pocked designed to be used with a BP/W. One of the local guys got them; I was pleasently surprised to see it uses the SeaQuest Surelock, just like on my Pro QD.

surelock.jpg

I have never had an issue with this locking system, and it gives a reassuring "click" when the weight pocket is inserted. And the pockets are standard SeaQuest, in case you lose one.

If your LDS is an Apeks or AquaLung dealer they should have no problem ordering them. Or maybe Scubatoys.

Although I've admired it, I can't say I've used the Apeks pocket...I use a weight belt with BP/W.

All the best, James

I'm using the XS pockets on mine and I've never had a problem (5lbs in each pocket x4).

Tobin, understand what you're saying, but want some weight on my tank band to assist with photographing in positions other than horizontal.

Since I do sometimes go inverted to get a shot, the upside down issue with the velcro is one of the concerns. But seems, with one exception, that the velcro on the pouch itself is pretty strong. I'm looking at the design which slides over the cam band, rather than velcros on.

James, thanks for the suggestion. I looked at a similar design, but opted against it as part of what I'm loving about a bp/w is that front and sides are totally unencumbered. While I'm going to use a DiveRite mask pocket when I'm diving in just a skin (I have a thigh pocket on my 3mm), the less I have on my front and sides, the happier I am.

Jason, going with a DSS 26# Torus wing, DSS Short Plate, and a Hogarthian harness (though likely I'll switch to Halcyon webbing as it's slight softer for when I don't have on any neoprene padding).

I've got a DSS and use one XS pocket on each cam band for trim. Up until a month ago I was also using XS pockets on a belt. Since then, I've started using the Zeagle Zip touch pockets and I'd swear they were made for my rig. They attach directly to the plate and you then thread the waist belt through them to keep them in place. What sets these apart (in my mind ) from the Halcyon, Dive Rite and Apeks pockets is that they have a very low profile and take up the least amount of space on your waist belt. The weight stays nice and tight to the plate, yet it remains easily reachable and it's one less thing to put on or take off. Also, since I dive a long hose but don't have a cannister light, the pocket makes a perfect anchor point for my primary. They're also only about $50 compared to $100+for H and Apeks.

I couldn't be happier with them.

BurBunny:
Jason, going with a DSS 26# Torus wing, DSS Short Plate, and a Hogarthian harness (though likely I'll switch to Halcyon webbing as it's slight softer for when I don't have on any neoprene padding).

Great, sounds like a good choice, let us know what you think once you get to dive it.

The way I see it wer are really talking about THREE separate issues.

Namely...

Total weight needed to achive neutral bouyancy at the end of the dive.

Ditchable weight.

Weight placement for trimming purposes.

Since you are switching to a DSS backplate your total weight required is still unknown, surely you can get close but the differences between various BC's and a backplate may be a few pounds off. Once you know the exact amount of weight you need to be neutral at the end of the dive with no air in the wing, then you can procede to solving the other problems.

I like to have between 6 and 8 pounds of ditchable weight. For this one XS Scuba weight pocket on each side of the waist belt of my harness fits the bill nicely. Additional weight can be placed on a traditional weight belt, Tobin's weight plates, cylinder cam bands, and a few other places as well. I like to keep the total ditchable weight relatively low to help control an emergency ascent if the weight is lost. I do need to keep the weight high enough to still make me positively bouyant at the beginning of the dive as well though.

Lots of things to consider, just remember there are many things to think about besides the total amount of lead.

Enjoy the new rig,

Mark Vlahos

Jasonmh:
Great, sounds like a good choice, let us know what you think once you get to dive it.

Unfortunately, the only diving I get to do for the next 2 months will be in the pool. But going to Sea of Cortez at the end of October and it'll get a good workout there.

crlavoie - those look interesting, though way more capacity than I need. Think I'll start with the XS and if not satisfied with them, go from there to another system. One step at a time :)

(Well, a lot more than one step going to a bp/w system, but we'll start very basic and adjust from there as needed.)

I had a XS Scuba velcro pocket fall off my Dive Rite Transpac today on a dive. Luckily I was only 12 foot down in a river and that I overweighted myself a bit because I didn't know how much weight I would need with my new setup. Despite using a buckle with a bent D ring to attempt to hold it in place the velcro pocket slipped over it. As I tried to push it back over the D-ring, it fell off my belt and sank to the bottom. Had that happened on another dive it could have been a serious problem.

Ironically enough, when I got home from my trip, I had a set of the non velcro pockets in my mailbox that I ordered last week due to being nervous about the velcro. Apparently my concerns were well founded. I am taking all the XS Scuba velcro pockets off my Transpac right now and going to the standard non-velcro type from now on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom