Ordered BP/W - Weight Pocket Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The order for my DSS rig has been made with my LDS and will be sent to Tobin tomorrow. I'm so excited!

However, have one last question about tank weight pockets. My LDS has both the XS Scuba pockets (velcro) and Halcyon (with plastic clip). I like the general size and configuration of the XS, but am a touch concerned with anything holding weight which is secured by velcro.

Experiences, anyone? Recommendations?

I use a weight belt with the XS scuba pockets, and have had no problems with them being secure. I use camband weights in the Trident pockets, which are also Velcro, and they've worked fine.

Where I get worried is with pockets that you insert into a BC that have Velcro, because the opening into which you insert them is pointed DOWN during a dive, and is an invitation to loss of weights.

I use the XS Scuba pockets, pointed down even :wink: no problems with them so far...

Aloha, Tim

Like they said, the velcro on the xs pockets are VERY stong. As for weight pouches on a BP/W, I prefer the SMALLER Dive Rite ones. They only hold 8 pounds each and are reliable. I then put the cam bands on my tank strap and also dive with a weighted STA. Another option is getting a DUI weight harness. Those that use it swear by it.

I have the XS Scuba pockets and have had no trouble at all with the velcro. Great Product!

There was a good thread recently about the strength of XS scuba pockets. One of the contributors to it gave the physical strength of velcro per square inch and it was very, very high compared to the actual weight you'd put in the pocket. How he knew this I have no idea. It was an interesting read, if you want to search for it. Anyway, the punchline was, considering the amount of velcro the pocket has, 5 lbs is nothing.

BurBunny:
The order for my DSS rig has been made with my LDS and will be sent to Tobin tomorrow. I'm so excited!

However, have one last question about tank weight pockets. My LDS has both the XS Scuba pockets (velcro) and Halcyon (with plastic clip). I like the general size and configuration of the XS, but am a touch concerned with anything holding weight which is secured by velcro.

Experiences, anyone? Recommendations?

Personally I prefer a weight belt. Having said that I know of no failures with the XSScuba pockets. Velcro will eventually wear out after repeated opening and closing cycles, but if don't remove your weights after every dive it should not be a problem, and even if you do it won't be problem for a long while.

I prefer the belt for a number a reasons, including; My rig is lighter, I don't have to remove the weights from the belt very often, it's easy to rent belts almost anywhere, and I like having some of ballst on my person so i'm not "pinned" on the surface if I'm donning or doffing in the water. A 4-8 lbs weight belt is not a big deal.

Tobin

I've got the XS pockets and just for convenience sake put them on a belt. I like that they can be slipped onto the cam bands and easily removed if necessary. Same with the belt. I put keepers on just cause they were already on the belt and if I took em off and put them somewhere they'd get lost. And changing the amt/placement of weight is quick and easy. Also alot cheaper than the halcyons. 8.95 from LP. And my lds matches where possible so for a little more I did not have to pay shipping. UPS cround from LP seems to be like 9 bucks min. On some stuff that's not bad considering the savings but on a couple pouches that weigh a few ounces each it's a bit much.

The regular XS Scuba pockets are fine as the others said.

However, I would caution against the use of the XS scuba pockets that attach to the best with a velcro closure. They are a great idea; enabling you to attach a pocket to behind your left waist D-ring without taking off all the hardware on that side.

The downside is, in my experience, the velcro closure is too large to keep the pocket from sliding over your D-ring on that side. I have seen those pockets slide all the way up to the boltsnap on the SPG. On the right side, those pockets have slid all the way off the webbing.

Jim

I experimented with those pockets and my biggest problem was keeping them from sliding around even with clips to keep them in place. Maybe I just didn't do it right but I got a DUI weight harness and that has been well worth the bucks.

Back
Top Bottom