OrcaTorch D630 Issues with Flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AeroSpartacus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I figured I'd leave a bit of an informal review here. I've had a D630 as my primary light since I took apprentice cave about 1.5-2 years ago. All things considered, it's been a decent light for the cost in that time. However, I had a critical issue recently when I was taking my IANTD Helitrox course (I think they call it advanced recreational trimix plus, a bit of a mouthful) and dove to approximately 170 feet. On the slow ascent, at maybe 155 feet, the light suddenly shut off with no warning. I switched to one of several backups, but realized the severity of the problem after surfacing. When I was disassembling my gear, I found out the the canister for the D630 had completely flooded and the battery was basically FUBAR. This was surprising since it's supposedly rated for 150m (on the website), and I had relatively recently replaced all the O-rings. I happened to have a 2nd battery for the D630, and that worked at first, but also ended up flooding at only ~60 feet partway into my next dive at Peacock after replacing O-rings again.

All that being said, I'm now ordering a Dive Rite primary light so I can have more peace of mind while cave diving.

2 floodings, I wonder if the problem is the part of the head that screws into the battery canister. I got mine to 65m without issues

I figured I'd leave a bit of an informal review here. I've had a D630 as my primary light since I took apprentice cave about 1.5-2 years ago. All things considered, it's been a decent light for the cost in that time. However, I had a critical issue recently when I was taking my IANTD Helitrox course (I think they call it advanced recreational trimix plus, a bit of a mouthful) and dove to approximately 170 feet. On the slow ascent, at maybe 155 feet, the light suddenly shut off with no warning. I switched to one of several backups, but realized the severity of the problem after surfacing. When I was disassembling my gear, I found out the the canister for the D630 had completely flooded and the battery was basically FUBAR. This was surprising since it's supposedly rated for 150m (on the website), and I had relatively recently replaced all the O-rings. I happened to have a 2nd battery for the D630, and that worked at first, but also ended up flooding at only ~60 feet partway into my next dive at Peacock after replacing O-rings again.

All that being said, I'm now ordering a Dive Rite primary light so I can have more peace of mind while cave diving.
if I’m reading correctly that both failures happened after o-ring replacements - is it possible there was either a problem with the replacement o-rings or the replacement procedure?

Seems coincidental

That sucks. I have a budy that routinely takes his to 250'.

Did you lube the o rings, any chance of cross threading?

I can get batteries for less, but it sounds like the housing or threads might be out of whack.

The O-rings were lubed not long before the 2nd dive; it wasn't as recently before the 1st dive but they had been lubed in the past. It does seem like the issue might have been something other than the O-rings (at least after the first time), especially with it happening at relatively shallow depths later on. I'll add that I had been using that light several times in the week prior to the deeper dive without issue.

For what it's worth, one of my backups (not the one I switched to) is also an Orcatorch and it faired fine - D530 I think.

The O-rings were lubed not long before the 2nd dive; it wasn't as recently before the 1st dive but they had been lubed in the past. It does seem like the issue might have been something other than the O-rings (at least after the first time), especially with it happening at relatively shallow depths later on. I'll add that I had been using that light several times in the week prior to the deeper dive without issue.

For what it's worth, one of my backups (not the one I switched to) is also an Orcatorch and it faired fine - D530 I think.
I don't lube often but I will wipe them down when done. I'm interested to see if you can figure this out. Do the threads look messed up in any way?

Back
Top Bottom