Orcas Harpooned Illegally a Few Feet from Tourists in Caribbean

What should be done to appended poachers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
Harpooned.jpg

In St. Vincent in the Caribbean, whale watchers were horrified to witness the killing of two killer whales. The tourists were from a nearby cruise and had paid for a whale watching trip and were shocked that local laws were being broken just a few feet away. Read More

It should be outlawed. That said, skimmed over the article, and was left with this question...was what happened technically illegal there?

If not, then however heinous the act, voting on things like whether the 'fisherman' should be tried in international court seems a bit premature.

You outlaw things 1st, then enforce.

Richard.

It should be outlawed. That said, skimmed over the article, and was left with this question...was what happened technically illegal there?

If not, then however heinous the act, voting on things like whether the 'fisherman' should be tried in international court seems a bit premature.

Richard.
I say harpoon the illegal fisherman (assuming it was actually illegal), and call it even...

From the article:
Now, the Caribbean nation’s government plans to introduce legislation banning the killing of orcas.

I believe you are premature in asking for their heads.

Also from the same article:

The International Union for the Conservation of Nature species program says there’s not enough data on orcas to determine if they’re endangered or not, though the marine mammals have been affected by the depletion of fisheries and, in some areas, by hunting. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service lists them as endangered.

So it is not not necessarily against the law to hunt them anywhere, except in the US and possibly another unnamed country. Considering the agenda bias of the article, I would think any other country banning their hunting would be listed.

I voted other since there is no choice to let them off since, by the article cited, no laws were broken.

Bob
---------------
Advocating change does not need to involve characterizing others as evil.

Last edited:

Richard.

drrich2, You are correct. A bit more information can be found courtesy of The Telegraph:
"The incident in the Grenadines has put pressure on the Caribbean nation to end the controversial practice. The International Whaling Commission permits the country to kill a limited number of whales as part of a clause that “allows for whaling on otherwise protected animals when it is conducted by certain indigenous people to satisfy subsistence needs”.

Sea Save Foundation is also interested in looking at the economics involved in this and similar issues. How much national revenue is being generated by the many tourist groups who are now thinking about curtailing their Grenadine visits. The potential loss will affect people directly employed by the whale-watching companies as well as hotels, eateries, souvenir producers, and retailers etc. How does that compare to the value of a dead killer whale?

Are the Orcas actually used for subsistance? Or is it a case of hunting for the sake of getting a large trophy?

We are currently diving in St Vincent and heard about this episode. Although this article pertains to another incident of taking a whale last month, it also explains that SVG is allowed to take 4 whales/year (which I found in another article) under the Aborigonal Subsistence Whaling provision, even though they don't technically meet the qualifications. Turning the tide in St Vincent and the Grenadines

Our local dive guides said that the whales are taken for their meat and are consumed by the locals. So, although I in no way condone their actions, they are not technically illegal. What I find most interesting is the reaction by the Prime Minister to put a ban on the killing of Orca Whales, I read nothing of banning the killing of any other whales that reside in these waters.

I agree that from a large scale, long-term economic overview, tourism trumps the killing of whales, but I question how some of these small villages that have relied on fishing in the past will benefit from increased tourism, without assistance from the SVG government.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom