Woman crushed by Humpback whales - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goons trying to drop in...

Our wildlife out here in the badlands of western Australia are just bogans...

Wow, that guy is tough!

Our wildlife out here in the badlands of western Australia are just bogans...

Dude. In Australia, ALL your wildlife hates you.

I would have laughed at that last comment until a few months ago when a spider bite almost killed me and took a month to get over....

I would have laughed at that last comment until a few months ago when a spider bite almost killed me and took a month to get over....

just out of curiosity, what kind of spider?

Red back on a full moon on a hot night...I learned the difference between "a bite" and envenomation - I now have a lot more respect for these violent little ladies.

@Wingy Was that indoors or outdoors? You were sitting there and it decided to bite or you somehow stumbled into their area? I knew that snakes can control whether to inject venom but didn't know that spiders controlled it too. Makes sense though.

<bogans> learned a new term there. I love Scubaboard's exposure to the world.

Classic mistake - I decided to give my house a bit of a makeover so had moved my old timber Venetian Blinds outside to disposed of but decided to salvage a few slats for architraves on a bas relief I wanted to do so was sitting there enjoying my cat pouncing on the slats as I pulled them out which in retrospect might have been a clue. I never saw the spider never had any bite marks (another trick up their sleeve - injecting anticoagulant so you don't see the expected bite marks) just a pain I could only describe as ten thousand anenome spines mixed with 240 volts piercing your entire being..every cell instantly. Then my vision disappeared and thankfully came back slowly but pixelated enough to see my phone and dial for help. Anaphylactic shock is the real killer...which obviously avoided, but the next 8 hours of violent vomiting while sweating and covered in massive reptilian goosebumps all over weren't pretty, followed by 12 hours of shaking, hypersensitivity to light, sound, touch, paranoia and exaggerated responses to things like a moth (ducking for cover under a table because a moth flew past the window) and we still had 48 hours to go as redback venom is very slow moving. Bone aches and extreme lethargy to the point of falling asleep at traffic lights and at my own birthday and extreme loss of coordination lasted about a month. I managed to fall over so many times I've still got one wrist in a brace.
The only upside is I seem to be able to draw now and I learnt a lot about neurotoxins and that anti venom is overall ineffective and can cause lifelong complications so I opted not to have any.

Classic mistake - I decided to give my house a bit of a makeover so had moved my old timber Venetian Blinds outside to disposed of but decided to salvage a few slats for architraves on a bas relief I wanted to do so was sitting there enjoying my cat pouncing on the slats as I pulled them out which in retrospect might have been a clue. I never saw the spider never had any bite marks (another trick up their sleeve - injecting anticoagulant so you don't see the expected bite marks) just a pain I could only describe as ten thousand anenome spines mixed with 240 volts piercing your entire being..every cell instantly. Then my vision disappeared and thankfully came back slowly but pixelated enough to see my phone and dial for help. Anaphylactic shock is the real killer...which obviously avoided, but the next 8 hours of violent vomiting while sweating and covered in massive reptilian goosebumps all over weren't pretty, followed by 12 hours of shaking, hypersensitivity to light, sound, touch, paranoia and exaggerated responses to things like a moth (ducking for cover under a table because a moth flew past the window) and we still had 48 hours to go as redback venom is very slow moving. Bone aches and extreme lethargy to the point of falling asleep at traffic lights and at my own birthday and extreme loss of coordination lasted about a month. I managed to fall over so many times I've still got one wrist in a brace.
The only upside is I seem to be able to draw now and I learnt a lot about neurotoxins and that anti venom is overall ineffective and can cause lifelong complications so I opted not to have any.
Sorry, I don't mean to chuckle, but all I can think of is the Billy Connolly stand up routine about all wildlife in Oz trying to kill you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom