Orca Skinny Dipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dana Wyse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a hardly used Orca Skinny Dipper back from around 1990. It still works, but have not used it in some years. It turns on and scrolls just like it did when new. Is OK now that I am resuming diving to continue to use it?

The only problem is that the algorithm is air only. If you dive nitrox it's not compatible.

I have a hardly used Orca Skinny Dipper back from around 1990. It still works, but have not used it in some years. It turns on and scrolls just like it did when new. Is OK now that I am resuming diving to continue to use it?

Short answer is yes, the long answer is yes. You can use it with air. You can also use it with nitrox but you need to pay attention to the maximum operating depth of the mix you are using. Also you will not get the benefit of the additional bottom time and shorter surface intervals. These are things you will learn in the nitrox class.

I realize you probably paid a lot for the computer when you purchased it, but computers have come along way since the 1990s. You can get a new computer for around $150 today. I would look to getting a new computer once you are sure you are back to diving for good.

It is an aggressive computer, especially when used for multiple dives with relatively short surface intervals of about 45 minutes. It is a great computer, super easy to read and understand, but when it goes into deco, it will not tell you how long the deco is, it only gives you a ceiling depth and you need to stay like 8 or 10 feet below the ceiling.

The Skinny Dipper was my first dive computer but I retired it a long time ago. You can still use it but there are much better options out there today.

I haven't dove mine in like twenty years or so. Like @drbill posted: there are far better options. They're cheaper too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom