Still Using a USD Matrix Hockey Puck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S
He can skip few meals and cut down on his drinking and he can afford it all no problem.
Some of us minimize expenses and use old gear because we choose to, not because we have to. Or because we drink away all our money.

I think you'll be fine as long as everything is functioning properly...

I actually still have three of the old Palegic pucks. Sherwood Source, Sherwood Re-Source and a USD Matrix. All basically the same algorithm AIR only.......and ALL of them work perfectly fine.... Even though I now dive an Oceanic AI Pro Plus 3.....I'm primarily SOLO configured so I use one of these strictly as a backup. If I have a primary failure of my Oceanic.......on a NDL dive and above MOD if I am on Nitrox, then my dive's over and the puck will at least give me the basic data needed to get to the surface.. Even if I am on Nitrox.......as long as I never approached DECO or MOD..... then as an "AIR" computer, the Matrix will still provide me conservative nitrogen loading info. If I'm at all concerned then I'd sit out for 24 hours and start over.

I take all three of these on trips in case anyone ever needs one. I just swap out the batteries once a year with a new o-ring and a bit of silicon grease and never had an issue. For pressure testing I just put all three in my drysuit thigh pocket.....or put in a bag and take-em down to 130 on one of my downriggers on the boat...... and they all match-up once I get them back to the surface...

Just remember that these will not auto activate. Need to activate manually within (I think 10 minutes) of descending.

colnlBL.jpg

puKVXk9.jpg

S

Some of us minimize expenses and use old gear because we choose to, not because we have to. Or because we drink away all our money.

My statement was "tongue-in-cheek" and was referring to renting a backup computer.

If old gear that hasn't been used for a very long time is to be used, it is very reasonable and prudent to have it serviced and checked before use.

Are you guys ignoring the backup provided by the Citizen Pro Master watch with dive computer that I’ll also be wearing? This is the one they quit making, but still support... separate batteries for analog dial, digital timer, and basic dive computer giving depth and bottom time in a usable form.

I don’t want to come off as too cheap to dive safely, but for the type of diving I’ll be doing, “packaged” resort group dives, in shallow and low stress conditions, I think we may be overthinking this a little.

Back to the original question, I’ve read a couple of reports where the Matrix “hockey puck” is unsafe at any depth in any conditions. These reports seem to be pretty extreme, even with an agenda perhaps. Does anyone have any report of actual failure, and if yes, under what conditions? I’m not ignoring your comments James79 or BoltSnap, to the contrary, I solicited and appreciate your input. I’m just exploring the topic as thoroughly as I can from here. I’m already planning on fresh servicing of watch and puck, especially batteries, so they should be at their best.

Froggie 🐸

PS Some of these outfits were still renting out Orca Skinny Dippers last time I was there... I could put fresh batteries in my SD and take it as my second backup! 😜

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom