Orange Grove Trip Report 8-1-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tasdiver

Muffin Meg Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today finds Tim (netmage) and I back at the caves. We dove Orange Grove today. This was my first time diving this entrance to the Peacock system. The conditions in the basin are pretty bad, like diving in coffee, but no duck weed :). Tim handled the primary reel today, he tied off VERY high in open water and we dropped down past
an area he refers to as the bat cave, tying off to the tree, then into the cave snaking around a bit to the main line. At the main line the vis opened up to
about 40 feet . . . I thought it was a bit better, but Tim says 40. Compared to the basin, the cave was gin clear LOL. We stayed on the main line heading
towards Challenge Sink, approximately 1800 feet of penetration. Vis dropped to about 20 to 30 feet at the Distance Tunnel. It was very dusty from there on. We
surfaced at Challenge, running a spool and tying off just below the surface, so I could take a look at the basin there and chat about the dive thus far. Turned
the dive on my thirds there and headed back. I led out, taking my time and really enjoying this beautiful cave. It has lots of turns and twists and ups and
downs. Some areas go from 60 feet to 20 feet back to 50 feet in a very short distance. We got back to our primary reel and I thought Tim signaled that we
were leaving the reel in. I figured since we were planning on doing a 2nd dive, it was a good idea. So I turned and started swimming out toward the
cavern/basin. I stopped; realizing I couldn't see Tim's light. I waited a bit, cupping my light and realized he wasn't behind me. I turned and swam back and
saw him reeling in the primary. Hmmm, we've got to work on our underwater communication :). We got to 20 feet and Tim handed me the primary so I could
reel into the bat cave. It was dark, dark, dark - I couldn't see the walls unless I was inches from them. I signaled Tim to turn, and I reeled out back to
the basin. We started our final ascent slowly as not to bump our heads on the submerged tree! What a great dive!!! Can't wait until tomorrow for another dive
. . . hmmmmm maybe Madison :) Hope you all got wet and had a great day !! Bottom Time: 103 minutes, Max Depth: 67 feet

Last edited:
Im puzzled why the basin is so tannic and the duckweeds gone. That tree can be dangerous in the poor vis and has been known to reach up and grab you. OG to Challenge is a nice dive and I especially like the cave from Challenge to Olsen. Ive encountered dusty conditions near the distance tunnel and suspect river intrution.

Duckweed going missing in Orange Grove is a fairly regular occurance from what I understand. The OW conditions are likely due to not having a ton of water movement along the top of the basin(unlike a spring or cave breeched sinkhole thats flushing water out continuously) as well as algae bloom and everything else growing in the topwater peatree dish :/

Duckweed going missing in Orange Grove is a fairly regular occurance from what I understand. The OW conditions are likely due to not having a ton of water movement along the top of the basin(unlike a spring or cave breeched sinkhole thats flushing water out continuously) as well as algae bloom and everything else growing in the topwater peatree dish :/

So what you say = coffee conditions :) I'll be back 8/15-16 :) going to try to dive OG and Madison again . . . let me know when you're going to be in the area :)

T-

Im puzzled why the basin is so tannic and the duckweeds gone. That tree can be dangerous in the poor vis and has been known to reach up and grab you. OG to Challenge is a nice dive and I especially like the cave from Challenge to Olsen. Ive encountered dusty conditions near the distance tunnel and suspect river intrution.

Hey Stair, yep that tree is trecherous :) caught netmage on the back of his rebreather. We have been trying to gauge my sac rate for the grand traverse . . . looks like I'm a go . . . Now if I had a stage I'd be golden LOL :) Will be back 8/15-16 to dive again.

let me know when you're going to be in the area :)

T-

Prolly won't be back that far east until late fall or winter. I dive the panhandle very regularly though, shoot me a line if you head a little further west.

The lack of duckweek is related to the flooding,and will replenish itself,especially as soon as a diver who doesn't clean his gear from a previous dive,will reseed it. The basin visibility is due to the algae bloom,and the duckweek provided an insulating layer in the past. Presently OW diving is prohibited due to the visibility,but this will improve with cooler temperatures in the fall.

When I do the grand traverse I swim to Challenge and refigure thirds from there with remaining gas. Then head to Olsen. I usually surface in each sink for 10 minutes or so. Recalculate thirds in Olsen and head to Pothole line or do the peanut restriction or crossover, whichever you want. Peanut is farther but shallower. I have yet to hit deco on the 2 hour relatively shallow trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom