Options for Small Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tthame1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m looking for a small steel backplate for my 12 year old daughter and most of the older threads suggest options thst are no longer available. I need something with a length of 14” or shorter. Oxycheq and Halcyon are the only two options I’ve found so far, but the Oxycheq ones don’t seem to be available right now. I’m not opposed to Halcyon, but they’re double the price of most other backplates, so just wanted to make sure I’m not missing any other options before I bite the bullet for one of those.

call @Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers, they usually have the Oxycheqs in stock, if they don't then call John at Northeast Scuba Supply who had a couple in stock a few weeks ago when I was passing through.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked with both and, unfortunately, they don’t have any and apparently Oxycheq isn’t making them right now.

If there aren’t other options, has anyone successfully cut a standard backplate down to fit a shorter diver?

I just ordered one from Sub Gravity, should be here today.

Subgravity, oxycheq and halcyon are the only ones that I know of that make short plates. I don't really understand why, I would think there are a fair number of under 5'3" divers out there.

I just ordered one from Sub Gravity, should be here today.

Subgravity, oxycheq and halcyon are the only ones that I know of that make short plates. I don't really understand why, I would think there are a fair number of under 5'3" divers out there.
Not even necessarily under 5’3”. Anybody with a shorter torso benefits from it. That is why i keep them on hand.

For anyone wondering, the small Sub-Gravity plate I got from Tracy is perfect. My daughter is 4’8” and the plate fits with a little room if she was slightly shorter. My wife is 5’1” and it looks correct on her as well.

For anyone wondering, the small Sub-Gravity plate I got from Tracy is perfect. My daughter is 4’8” and the plate fits with a little room if she was slightly shorter. My wife is 5’1” and it looks correct on her as well.
Aluminum or Steel?

Back
Top Bottom