Options for Keeping CELLS DRY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'm saying that fixating on "1.6" as a magic value is missing the point of deco, which is not about ppO2 itself, but rather about %O2 and ambient pressure.

I agree with your premise, however this particular discussion is about cell checking, so even if you use normal set point for deco (like I do, 1.2, maybe 1.3 if I really want to get out earlier) you will still on at least 1 and preferably 2 parts of your dive push it up to 1.6 to ensure that your cells are capable of reading at the top end of the range they might be expected to see.

I've been doing some additional reading/research on this subject.... In an older rebreather thread there were some rb divers diving kiss units, they had similar problems of the cells getting wet, not soaked but just experienced wetness and it was affecting their cell readings
Here is the thread:
KISS Classsic water ingress and controlgs.

One diver put a tampon into his can, in the middle while packing the sorb, and this absorbed any moisture. he said it worked quite well. a few other divers tried it and also experienced positive results.

Has anyone considered trying this or used a sponge to absorb any of the moisture? I am going diving next week, and wanted to try the tampon method and see if this helps.

Yes tampon is a well known trick but it becomes "invasive" and expensive :).
An ultra absorbent thin kitchen wipe is the way to go as you can cut it to fit the space

I will look for a few of these, and get them cut before i dive next week. so same technique, just put some in the MIDDLE and pack the sorb around it?

what about the cut up sponge to absorb some of the moisture? any value to this also?

I will look for a few of these, and get them cut before i dive next week. so same technique, just put some in the MIDDLE and pack the sorb around it?
what about the cut up sponge to absorb some of the moisture? any value to this also?
I cannot really help as I don't dive the Sidewinder but if you use a sponge or whatever be careful it won't interfere with the gas flow and/or move in a wrong position.
As I had said in post before, try to tap lightly on the head to help removing drops of water which may have stuck on the membrane.

I am using some plastic hose caps, and helping to prevent any moisture from getting into the connectors.
I will get the rest completed, and going to test it next week when I go diving. will post some updates.

Attachments

• IMG-3672.jpg
    IMG-3672.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-3673.jpg
    IMG-3673.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-3674.jpg
    IMG-3674.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 81
Might not be hugely relevant cos I don't think you are on a Kiss Classic, but I think in the early units water ingress was attributable to the BOV.

Mine us #16 so pretty early and when I got it the BOV was a Sherwood variant. Initially I would get some water in the trap which had to be removed post dive.

As soon as I switched to a Golem Shrimp it's been fine and dry save a miniscule amount of condense depending on conditions.

This can manifest on the cell faces but a flush at 6m, dries them off nicely.

that should be done as a pre-descent check, if the goal is to make sure the sensors are working on the high end before you trust your life to them at depths where it's relevant.

Experienced CCR divers (including the instructor that taught me) seem to have come to a consensus that O2 sensors can demonstrate an ability to reach 1.6 at the start of a dive and then, 45 minutes later, be unable to reach nearly 1.6. However, if they can reach 1.6 at the end of a dive, then they are very likely going to be able to do it again on the next dive - presuming the next dive is not too far in the future.

My instructor taught me to:

- check for current limiting (i.e. ability to reach 1.6) at the start of my first dive of a trip.
- check for current limiting again at the end of that dive.
- check for current limiting again at the end of each dive on the remainder of that trip.

Is there any modifications that can be done to prevent water from getting to the cells that affect the PP02 levels?

Any ideas or options, Id appreciate hearing about it.

thanks

I don't know if this will help, but 2 repair techs at Shearwater (Richard Morton and Curt McNamee) told me to squirt Tribolube into the Molex connectors on my rEvo, to fill up the connector, before I connect them to my sensors. That is to keep moisture out of the connectors and prevent corrosion of the connectors or O2 sensor pins.

Of course, that's the opposite end of the sensor from the membrane, where the gas comes into the sensor. But, if that's where the moisture is that is affecting your sensors, maybe it would help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom