Optimal Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered Nitrox diving? You will more than likely have more gas left over at the end of the dive.
:wink:
Aquamore

Originally posted by KoralKat
Se7en,

My husband has used the larger PSI capacity tanks for all his dives except the last one, but he *still* runs extremely low and/or out of air. He is a pretty big guy - our 'scuba fitness plan' has begun, but until we meet our goals, this is a problem.

While listening to him sleep in the middle of the night (bad insomnia usually), I hear him taking very shallow, quick breaths. Usually it's about 2-3 of his per one of mine. Is this something that maybe yoga could improve, or any other 'exercise'? He's had to use my octo on almost every dive so far (we've done 7 so far after OW certification). I usually surface with 1000-1300 psi left in my tank, so that's not a problem..., but it seems to cause him serious stress when his tank shows that low a reading. (me too!)

KoralKat

Sounds like a bad situation.

First, I suspect he's anxious about his air consumption. And as soon as hit gets to half a tank (typically 1400-1600 PSI), he gets even more anxious...and that drives up his air consumption...

On your future dives, make sure he notifies you when he's at 1500 PSI. It's time to turn around and start to lose depth.

If I remember from grad school (3 decades ago so don't quote me...) respiration rates vary greatly during sleep, depending on the sleep stage. Resp can skyrocket during some stages. Was REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep one of them? Don't remember the particulars but the general principle is that resp will vary during sleep...be careful about which data you generalize from.

Does he lead on the dive? Does he kick a lot, scull a lot?

I was actually happily surprised by my air comsumption...I'm not in the best shape...so I thought this would be one thing that I would have difficulty with. The only thing I can figure is that 15 years of playing the trumpet (talk about breath control :D ) has proved to be very useful now :eek:ut:

I was reading some article in Skin Diver about prolonged exhaling. Guy was practicing it on surface, exhaling for about 1 min . So I've tried it too-good practice. Underwater I inhale normally, and then exhale for about 15sec. No headache, my airway is open. With this rythm it takes about 3-4 breathes per minute. Just gave me extra time/tank. Downside: there are always little bubbles coming out of your reg.

keralucu once bubbled...
students who do yoga are usually very good with air consumption - the breathing and meditational techniques help a lot. Hence my new obsession with yoga!

Here Here!

How's it going? As you can see, no more warm water diving for me for a while... now in cold Norway and too chicken to brave the drysuit and get in the water here! :eek:

Been here for 3 months, got married 2 months ago and have not had much chance to practice yoga.. started again this week and was dismayed to find out how stiff I am... determined to get back into it as we are going back to Thailand in Feb for our Thai wedding reception and honeymoon in the Similans... cannot wait to be in the water again.

Hope you are well.
Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom