Optimal Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The common thread is that skip breathing involves an altered breathing pattern involving intentionally prolonging the time between breathing cycles.

PADI #177885

I agree - skip breathing is just extending the breathing cycle. I started out with a 40ffw dive would go 45 minutes w/80cft. Now, under the same conditions I get between 60 and 75. dependent on tour speed and water temp. (Real cold- 55 to me- with lots of rubber and weight and its back to 50-55)

The main thing is, I am so much more relaxed now, I dont really think of it a skip breathing. (I rarely get a headache) Just nice easy - even breathing. with a little pause on top of the inhale (helps regulate not holding your breath that way - you float if you do.)

Like seeing all the different input - you are a great bunch of divers!

Dave

Se7en,
My hubby usually does use a larger tank (they didn't have any on our last dive in the Bahamas though..). Even with the larger tanks, he runs way low on his air. I've noticed when he's sleeping that he breathes very fast & shallowly. Is there a way to try to improve this for when you're underwater?
KoralKat

Originally posted by devjr

Oh, BTW, don't worry about skip breathing causing headaches. I'm a freediver and SCUBA diver. I hold my breath for 3 minutes, and I also used to skipbreath when air fills were hard to obtain or afford. Have never had a headache, except if I stayed up the previous night partying.

I'd agree with skip breathing not being the cause of headaches. What I have found is that not breathing enough is the real cause. Since skip breathing can lead to divers breathing less or more slowly than they should, some people mistake skip breathing to be the cause. As I understand it, the real cause is from the CO2 build-up in your lungs coming from insufficient circulation of air(which is what happened to me until I stopped trying to max my dive time and min gas use).

I suppose that most was said already. Anyway:

*Reduce excessive weight. Don't need it don't take it. Increase weight=increase air consumption. It is a common mistake to think that the BC will compensate for any weight that one takes. It will balance you vertically, but in order to move all your mass forward you'll have to use the force of your legs. It's just simple phisics (newton's law) that we have to keep in mind.
Excessive weight will also increase your bouncing even when balanced. You inhale air you rise , you exhale air you drop down. Once balanced, you are supposed to use your breathing to make small corrections. With too much weight you'll drop like a stone each time you exhale.
I think that excessive weight is the #1 "dive time shortener" for most divers.

*Try to be "slim". Any dangling pieces of gear only increase drag (and also increase tangling potential and/or raise sand, break corals).

*Move slowly. As less as possible, like in slow motion. Remember that water friction/resistance increases with speed! Increase your speed=increase resistanse=increase air consumption.
Don't move your hands at all, if not needed.
I think that moving too much (especially hands) is #2 dive shortener.

*Relax. You'll enjoy you dive better and have more time to enjoy from it. Whenever you see that you are running too fast, breathing too fast stop and calm yourself. It will also help you if any problem arises, and let you stay far away from the diver's enemy, the panic.

Myself, keeping the breathing pattern described here so many times helps me to relax and have more time to look at the surroundings.

Increasing you tank volume? I don't know...It's heavier, bulkier. Perhaps you don't gain as much as one would expect. Better trying other alternatives before going on the heavy tanks.

An old hoover advised a young electrolux to try these simple breath techniques. Count your exhale: if you can keep to a slow four or six count you will find a big increase in your air supply. N.B. This method is no good for chasing after the oblvious dive buddy; try a dog lead and a choke chain.
Learn to hum, this can be practised on the surface. N.B. Don't be suprised if the buddy picks up tin cans looking for the underwater radio. :D

Wow! Thanks guys and gals for the great thoughts and advice on this subject. I guess this is one of those topics that everyone who dives has an opinion on.

Thanks Roakey for showing how to do the math on calculating SAC rates. I created a small page with your example formula and added it to my logbook for future reference.

Thanks to Roakey, it was determined that my average SAC rate during my 4 OW cert dives was .62 which he said wasnt bad for a newbie. I would interested to know what others SAC rates are, and what is a good goal to set for myself?

Se7en,

My hubby does normally use a larger tank -- but he still runs *really* (i.e., potentially dangerously) low. He's a big guy .. but
when I listen to him breathe while sleeping, he breathes very
shallow & fast... about 2-2.5 breaths for my one. If he were to slow down the breathing, and try to control it a bit more, wouldn't that save on his air?

KoralKat

Originally posted by KoralKat
Waiting for my next warm water dive vacation . . .
And just what's wrong with Twin Lakes, Aurora, Pueblo and Blue Hole, Hmmm? :)

Glad to see another Colorado face in here!

Roak

Se7en,

My husband has used the larger PSI capacity tanks for all his dives except the last one, but he *still* runs extremely low and/or out of air. He is a pretty big guy - our 'scuba fitness plan' has begun, but until we meet our goals, this is a problem.

While listening to him sleep in the middle of the night (bad insomnia usually), I hear him taking very shallow, quick breaths. Usually it's about 2-3 of his per one of mine. Is this something that maybe yoga could improve, or any other 'exercise'? He's had to use my octo on almost every dive so far (we've done 7 so far after OW certification). I usually surface with 1000-1300 psi left in my tank, so that's not a problem..., but it seems to cause him serious stress when his tank shows that low a reading. (me too!)

KoralKat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom