Opinions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When doing dives on the Shoal here in SA every briefing on every boat I have ever gone on has had an emergency recall system explained.

Finnatic:
One note: I've recently read that when calling for help the term "victim" is often construed as meaning deceased by emergency rescue personnel. Possibly a better term would be "patient". My source indicated that the term "patient" might bring a quicker response. Any emergency rescue personnel want to comment on that?

When I took Advanced First Aid (mumble years ago) it was mentioned that calling the injured person a "patient" was discuraged -- It implied a level of training (EMT / MD / etc) that a Red Cross trained first aider does not have, which may cause the professional responding to the scene to look to you for direction.

We were instructed to call the victim a "victim".

A professional basing their speed of response on the term 'victim' or 'patient' is to me being un-professional.

i took Rescue a few months ago, and at least PADI calls the person a "victim"
until they are rescued and a "patient" while CPR or first aid is administered while
waiting for the pros to arrive.

Activate EMS as soon as possible and get professional help at the scene (Florida, get the Heli). Can't leave the other divers, since you may now create further possible emergency situations. Every boat has a diver recall plan. During a drift dive, hopefully the boat is following the group. Not sure how this is going to work with two groups??? Could be a real mess if there are other divers in the area too. Since I'm not familiar with this area, how close is the nearest hyperbaric chamber, could also be a reason to get a Heli there fast.

I believe the Recompression Chambers are at:

Mariner's hospital on Islamorada Tel: 305-852-4418
Florida Keys Hyperbaric Center, 13365 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL Tel: 305-743-9891

Again, thank you all for your wonderful responses. I know for a fact that the next time I get on a boat, I'll ask what the diver recall proceedure is. The only 'minor' problem is that a lot of boats operate out of West Palm/Riveria Beach areas, operating in the same areas. Unless there is a distinct pattern unique to your vessel, then you may find yourself responding to an emergency signal not intended for you - a small price to pay, to be sure.

I still think the helicopter option is probably the best. Failing that, a 'go fast' being run by the Florida Marine Patrol would be almost as good. Understand the concern for divers being left in the water though, although with 83 degree water, hypothermia is rarely a issue in the summer.

Finally, I know better that to inquire as to who the picture is in SueMermaid's last posting... I've hear rumors that the Suprano's live in NJ and, as I value my life, I'm gonna crawl back in my hole.

Again, thanks to everyone for discussing this issue for me, I really do appreciate it!

Hoya97:
Again, thank you all for your wonderful responses. I know for a fact that the next time I get on a boat, I'll ask what the diver recall proceedure is. The only 'minor' problem is that a lot of boats operate out of West Palm/Riveria Beach areas, operating in the same areas. Unless there is a distinct pattern unique to your vessel, then you may find yourself responding to an emergency signal not intended for you - a small price to pay, to be sure.

I still think the helicopter option is probably the best. Failing that, a 'go fast' being run by the Florida Marine Patrol would be almost as good. Understand the concern for divers being left in the water though, although with 83 degree water, hypothermia is rarely a issue in the summer.

Finally, I know better that to inquire as to who the picture is in SueMermaid's last posting... I've hear rumors that the Suprano's live in NJ and, as I value my life, I'm gonna crawl back in my hole.

Again, thanks to everyone for discussing this issue for me, I really do appreciate it!

It would be interesting to know what the USCG rules are, for boat captains, regarding leaving divers behind with a large float. The issue is certainly briefed on the West Coast. Sounds from these posts that it is not mentioned at all on the East Coast. USCG rules would apply to both coasts.

IndigoBlue:
It would be interesting to know what the USCG rules are, for boat captains, regarding leaving divers behind with a large float. The issue is certainly briefed on the West Coast. Sounds from these posts that it is not mentioned at all on the East Coast. USCG rules would apply to both coasts.

I don't know about west coast states but in Michigan i believe boating rules are within the states jurisdiction not the Feds. In our area it is the county Sheriffs dept that generally enforces inland maritime law.

The Coast Guard supports that effort with vessel inspection authority and search & recovery for situations beyond the sheriff depts ability.

I'm not a licensed Captain but i'm not aware of any law governing the leaving or picking up divers in this situation. I think each situation must stand on its own due to variablity of possible circumstances. I'm not sure how you would write a law to adequately cover this topic.

I would like to add a somewhat different experience and perspective to this debate.

First, I have been to a number of different dive destinations and maybe once (I vaguely remember it from somewhere.) was a diver recall signal discussed.

Second, when I was in little cayman we were told that if there were a dive emergency that the boat would leave and that we should just stay at the mooring ball and wait. they would send one of the other boats to get us. This seemed strange to me since there was no real medical facility on the island and any dive would be over before help could arive from grand cayman.

Third, I dive with several family members and good friends on most trips. I would rather spend an hour or two bobbing in the waves then have someone I care about not get help because I didn't hear the clang of a ladder.

Obviously I would not want to be left in a rough seas, a shipping lane, high traffic area or a strong current and if the injury was a shark attack then they should get everyone out just to be safer, but I would not worry too much if land was reachable and I was not alone (one person may be hard to find... not misery loves company).

I am not saying that this is acceptable for every problem but I think that in a scituation where it could make the difference between life and death for somebody and there are no additional dangers (besides the ones we face every time we step off the boat) to divers on the surface then as long as I knew it was their policy, I would be OK with it.

I`m just going to throw this thought out

A diver surfaces and blacks out and cannot be brought around - the boat wizzes off abandoning the rest of the divers ...

BUT .. the cause of the blackout turns out to be bad air files - 5 mins after the boat leaves another 2 divers are brought to surface and not repsonding and not breathing ...

ho hum .....

I would never advocate leaving divers in the water

TwoTanks:
I am not saying that this is acceptable for every problem but I think that in a scituation where it could make the difference between life and death for somebody and there are no additional dangers (besides the ones we face every time we step off the boat) to divers on the surface then as long as I knew it was their policy, I would be OK with it.

Certainly that would make a decision to leave much easier.

But if i was the one hurt i would not want others placed in harms way needlessly due to an attempt to save my bacon. Imagine how you would feel if you were saved but the rest of the group that got left because of you didn't make it.

Captains don't make nearly enough money to be saddled with decisions like this IMO but that is their job. I think they're rarely clear cut decisions to make until you have all your divers covered for pick up. JMO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom