Opinions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIDIVER501:
I belive this is unanimous.
A diver recall systems needs to be in place and no divers are left behind. Calling for a med evac helo is also the recommended proceedure.

This falls into the "It sucks to be you" category for the diver with the injury, but to quote spock.....the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few or the one.

Maybe unanimous between you and the mouse in your pocket.

Interesting.

The Boat Captain that I dive with (50+ Dives) has never mentioned an emergency recall proceedure. I will have to bring it up next time I'm on his boat and see what he has to say.

Helicopter is probably the best option.

Would be difficult to get another boat to cover the first boat though - if they are big enough to tend to divers and close enough to respond, then they are probably concerned about their own divers in the water, not someone elses.

The only dives we have on the West Coast of Florida are drift dives. You can't get a 'normal' dive until you get to the Keys or the West Coast. Instructors in our area train divers from the onset in drift diving (teach to the local conditions) so this isn't beyond the capabilities of the new divers.

In conclusion, I deeply appreciate all the comments I've gotten so far and sincerely look forward to other ideas. Loved the input about the helicopter though and the diver recall proceedures.

See - simply asking a question and soliciting responses from others on this board is very educational. Thank you all for your time and thoughts on this issue.

Hadley Killough
Kissimmee, FL
NAUI 38418

no boat i have ever been on has had an emergency recall procedure explained
to us as part of the dive brief.

H2Andy:
no boat i have ever been on has had an emergency recall procedure explained
to us as part of the dive brief.

I had one boat explain the recall procedures, they had a underwater horn and told us to get to the surface if we heard it.

Paul

Never heard of that option. (even if it exists I wouldn't use it)

As a dive master I would never leave the site with divers still in the water. The Captain of the boat is responsible for all the people the he/she has taken out there with them. To leave people behind would be irresponsible. There is defintely a need to get an injured person into care as soon as possible but not at others expense. I don't believe leaving them a float is adequate. I will double check that with the coastguard bubbas, they are more up on all those boater safety laws then us open ocean navy types.
Every large boat I have ever been on (in the states) has had a diver recall system of some sort and briefed it....cycling the engines, a bell, U/W Horn...one guy in NJ had U/W he had modified from a set of home pool speaker that he hooked into the VHF radio and used it as an U/W loud hailer to recall divers.

RIDIVER501:
Every large boat I have ever been on (in the states) has had a diver recall system of some sort and briefed it....

i guess this is not a florida thing... anyone in florida been
on a boat that had this type of system? i haven't.

H2Andy:
i guess this is not a florida thing... anyone in florida been
on a boat that had this type of system? i haven't.

I have, forgot exactly where at.

logbook? :wink:

They may have not briefed it But if they rev their engines a few times or a certain way however the operation decides to do it they have a recall system.

one boat captain said if you hear the engines rev to the tune of "shave and a hair cut...two bits." get you butt back on board fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom