Opinions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIDIVER501:
They may have not briefed it But if they rev their engines a few times or a certain way however the operation decides to do it they have a recall system.

hmmm... i guess that means that every time i hear the boat
do something out of the ordinary, i should abort the dive
and get on board IN CASE it's a recall signal?

No I am just saying that all boats have a method of diver recall. it is up to the boat crew/DM to brief you how they are going to do it....and no harm in you asking them how they are going to call you back incase a fellow diver is injured or other emergency...could be recalling becuase the weather has kicked up, who knows. If they are clueless, know you can make a viable suggestion for them...

RIDIVER501:
No I am just saying that all boats have a method of diver recall.

nod, nod...

what i am saying is that unless you brief the method, so that all divers know what to expect and what to do,
you DON'T have a method of diver recall.

without briefing it, you basically have a "let's do X and hope
the divers can figure out we want them back on board."

Many boats fail to breif the recall procedure - but in most cases divers are following a DM - who will know the recall signal. Also common sense does prevail

On one night dive shortly after entering the water I heard a continous banging ( weight on the boat ladder ) although not specifically breifed as the recalled - I assumed that`s what it was and returned to the boat - as did everyone else - 2 divers had been swept off the site and all the divers were needed back on the boat.

The diver recall is something that each diver should know and if the boat crew doesn`t mention it and you intend to not follow the DM - ask what it is

A good reason for the boat to stay put is the possibility of another incident. What happens if another diver has a problem? If the boat is gone there is no first aid platform and no radio to call for help.

The boat really must recover ALL divers before leaving.

There are many possible situations that may change the plan but the basic lifesaving rule still applies, "Do not create additional victims."

Boat captain should have working radio and call for help. He/she should never leave divers unattended. No how, no way.
The only dive I have ever been on where we received an emergency recall briefing was on a potentially stormy day in Key Largo. The signal was three sharp raps of a metal tube that the captain put into the water.
Some ass-hat (whose gear I later almost attempted to toss overboard on the way back in) decided it would be funny to send out the signal and end the dive early for the whole group. So the only such briefing I have ever received broke down. I would not recommend that sort of thing. There are always going to be lemuels amongst us, no matter how we hate that fact.

SueMermaid:
There are always going to be lemuels amongst us, no matter how we hate that fact.
So what's a lemuel?

So you think it would be a good idea to send a diver down to retreive the other divers a little quicker. A diver could carry a slate that stated "Emergency - return to the boat."

spiderman:
So what's a lemuel?

it's like a little hamster, and when a bunch of them get
together, they jump over cliffs and stuff...

i'm really confused now

(the only Lemuel i know of is one of three authors
associated with the Jewish book of Proverbs -- same
as in the Christian Bible.... the other two are Solomon and
Agur -- and no, i don't know this off the top of my head,
i looked it up).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom