Opinions on this gear setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violakat03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm shopping on a budget and have been poking around on several online stores for what I'm looking for. I need a regulator and a computer to fill out my personal gear collection.

What I have:
SeaQuest Libra BC with AirSource II alternate air
mask fins snorkel wetsuit etc.

What I'm looking at:
Oceanic Alpha 8 DVT regulator ($399 at LDS)
Oceanic Atom 1.0 computer with transmitter ($549.95 at LP)

I'm looking for where else I can buy the computer online but so far haven't found it anywhere else.

I'm very open to suggestions for other gear in the same price range. For a computer, I want a wrist computer with wireless air/Nitrox integration. The Atom 1.0 is so far the only one I've found that isn't $1k once you add in the transmitter.

If it was me I would upgrade the reg. to Delta4.FDX10-DVT
and downgrade the Atom1 to a VEO180.
BTW the Oceanic VT3 is well below 1K$

just my 2cts

cheers,

Any particular reason you want an air integrated computer? If you're short on money, perhaps you can buy a cheaper dive computer with Nitrox capabilities for around $150 and spend that extra $400 on a dive trip.

Just a suggestion. If you really want air integration, by all means, go for it.

Also a savings is air integration but not wireless. You are also less likely to lose it attached to your regs. Ask around at how many divers are on wrist computer number two (if they will admit it). Could be a good question for a new thread.

Oceanic Alpha 8 DVT regulator ($399 at LDS)

Since you're located in Snowy Ohio, I would suggest you skip the Alpha 8 and look at the GT3. It's less than the Delta 4, every bit as reliable in cold water (I own 2 of them up here on the north side of Lake Erie) and they will perform a little bit better than the Alpha 8. I just don't consider the Alpha 8 to be a good cold water reg, unless it's paired with the CDX5 first stage, at which point you might as well get the GT3.

Jim

If it was me I would upgrade the reg. to Delta4.FDX10-DVT
and downgrade the Atom1 to a VEO180.
BTW the Oceanic VT3 is well below 1K$

just my 2cts

cheers,

I second that. And I have a bunch of Delta4/FDX10 + VEO180 in work as our school gear. And I suppose most of you can imagine Febrary conditions in our lake... :wink:

Also a savings is air integration but not wireless. You are also less likely to lose it attached to your regs. Ask around at how many divers are on wrist computer number two (if they will admit it). Could be a good question for a new thread.

I'm on my second computer. The first one somehow got chrushed under my tank in the boat. Oh, and it was "attached" to my regs, as in a console... No, stick with the wrist computer, or else!... :D

And I suppose most of you can imagine Febrary conditions in our lake... :wink:

O well let's see,you're in tropical Norway, 28C, coral reefs, just on the white sandy beaches.3mm year round.
:rofl3:
just kidding,in those conditions you do need the best of the best.

Upgrade your reg as much as possible, and skimp on the computer.

Norway Diving? How is that other than cold?

Back
Top Bottom