Opinions on the Sea elite value package from diver supply?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the info i think im goen to give it a shot with the ranger reg up grade as i will probably by better gear as i go i just want to have my own stuff insted of renting i talk to ds and they said all parts were free when getting serviced just had to pay labor if done annually. so all and all it should be a good buy i think

Upgrading to the RX450 regulator is a good decision. The first stage is a balanced, diaphragm design and the second stage is adjustable. I made a mistake in my earlier post about the name. The cheaper, unbalanced piston reg is called the Scout RX330 and the better, balanced reg is the Ranger RX450. The Scout would be a decent reg but for a mere 28 bucks more, I would definitely go with the balanced Ranger RX450.

Last edited:
the regs only work on one type of the YOKE valves.
I took it to my LDS and we all had a laugh as they look like an absolute piece of crap

$100 for regs lol

Why waste your money on " Cheap " gear that you are already planning on having to replace?

Why waste your money on " Cheap " gear that you are already planning on having to replace?
Because it's not wasted to buy what you can afford when it works sufficiently well to get a fair number of dives in before needing to replace. Not everyone has the money or desire to spend $1500 on regs that really don't make that much difference from those that can be had for a third that (or less).

these regs literally lasted one dive.
the second dive they didnt fit on steel tanks, only fits on ally tanks.
all yoke.

they are my friends regs and he's super budget.
better off at least spending $200 for regs.
the last thing you want is a freeflow or leak, at depth.

these regs literally lasted one dive.
the second dive they didnt fit on steel tanks, only fits on ally tanks.
all yoke.

they are my friends regs and he's super budget.
better off at least spending $200 for regs.
the last thing you want is a freeflow or leak, at depth.
Please tell me how a reg can fit on a yoke valve of one tank but not a yoke valve of another tank. I call BS on this one. If you're trying to say they only fit yoke versus DIN, then I will believe you, but everyone knows that when they buy regs, you either get one or the other and they aren't interchangeable.

As for free-flows or leaks, that has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the reg. That has to do with tuning and workmanship.

thats what i thought too mate but they worked fine on ally tank, i tried it on a steel tank on another dive about a week later, they didnt fit lol.
Apparently there are two types of yoke valves. i think theres a hexagonal one and another one.

As others have said, it is Divers Supply's in house brand. I am local to the JaX location and DS, service-wise is a top notch and I have my aeries gear serviced there every yr. Their sea elite brand though does have a rep (not sure if perceived or real) for being sub par. I would take others advice and if you have a limited budget I would put aside the larger chunk of that for your regulators and upgrade them. I have personally seen their BCDs and they are more then adequate for beginners and normal rec style diving. I have however never seen a Sea Elite regulator anywhere.

thats what i thought too mate but they worked fine on ally tank, i tried it on a steel tank on another dive about a week later, they didnt fit lol.

I don't doubt you had an issue.... but maybe it was the valve and not the regulator?

I used a Sea Elite reg 10 years ago or so. I never had one issue with it. I used it on both steel tanks and aluminum tanks. Never had any problems with it on either.... and on different type of yoke valves. (K valves and J valves).

Their sea elite brand though does have a rep (not sure if perceived or real) for being sub par.

I've found that..... Most of the time, the person who is saying that has never owned or used one of their regulators, or is a competing shop that doesn't like having to compete with lower priced "house brand" gear.

Most people who've had them that I know or have seen post here have been happy with them. Now you'll find someone that's had a problem. but you can say that for ANY brand of gear and find someone that is unhappy with ANY brand.

Back
Top Bottom