Opinions on the Sea elite value package from diver supply?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flynfish816

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there i am new to diving and just got my open water diver c card and was wondering if this would be a good package as i live in nebraska and will probably dive 25 to 50 times this season no deeper then 80ft. i was wondering about the scout reg or if i should up grade to the ranger and what the difference was in balanced and un balanced. i also wanted to know if sea elite supplies parts for rebuild if done as the manufacture specs. and witch is cheaper to service. thanks for any help. Shane

I'm not real familiar with Sea Elite. You are going to have to do the research. Serviceability would be my main concern.

At first glance, I'd just upgrade to the Aeris and Cressi options. I understand saving money, but I learned long ago that if you buy junk the first round, you end up paying twice.

Sorry I can't be more help.

They will most likely function OK but you are going to have problems finding someone to service them. Sea Elite is a house brand of DS so most shops are not going to be willing to service them for you. The BC should do OK but then again it's a house brand and you will not be able to check the fit and fit is a major concern. The gauge console would be OK, gauges are pretty much gauges. I know it's more expensive but you will be better off in the long run buying one of the major brands, at least where the regs are concerned. A better option IMO would be to buy a mid ranged major brand reg and find a good used BC. They are fairly common and almost always a good deal. You never know, you may also find a good set of regs used locally as well. You have to be careful what you buy but used can be a great option, again as long as it's a major brand that you have local service for. If I was going bottom line cost, I think I would go with a Sherwood Brute. They aren't pretty or super performers but they are tough as nails and you can get service almost anywhere.

They will most likely function OK but you are going to have problems finding someone to service them. Sea Elite is a house brand of DS so most shops are not going to be willing to service them for you. The BC should do OK but then again it's a house brand and you will not be able to check the fit and fit is a major concern. The gauge console would be OK, gauges are pretty much gauges. I know it's more expensive but you will be better off in the long run buying one of the major brands, at least where the regs are concerned. A better option IMO would be to buy a mid ranged major brand reg and find a good used BC. They are fairly common and almost always a good deal. You never know, you may also find a good set of regs used locally as well. You have to be careful what you buy but used can be a great option, again as long as it's a major brand that you have local service for. If I was going bottom line cost, I think I would go with a Sherwood Brute. They aren't pretty or super performers but they are tough as nails and you can get service almost anywhere.

You're right on about the Sherwoods, but I would tend to go with something a little higher up like a Magnum; Bruts tend to be a little harder breathers.

Pax,

for what it is worth. I purchased a sea elite bc as a travel bc for a recent trip to Oz because I did not want to haul my seaquest black diamond up and down the Queensland coast. It is a very basic, economical b.c. I used it for 27 dives in three weeks in three different locations and it functioned adequately. The dive staff of one liveaboard was a bit perplexed at the brand name as they had never heard of it and many divers aboard use "boutique" brands. Keep in mind I was diving in warm water with a 3/2 and steel tank. I will continue to use it as my travel bc. Can't speak to the quality of the other equipment

Must agree with most replies here.

I've used the Sea Elite items for students in the past. Have since switched to AquaLung but while using the SE items, I found them to be low priced and of ok quality.

I like the BCDs best. Are they a fancy name, No. Do they get the job done, you bet.

I also like the Oct's, but am one of those that would say "step up" on your 1st and primary 2nd stage rig.

I have several of the Sea Elite second stages and I like them. I have one backup set that I recently put together with only Sea Elite seconds and all our Conshelf sets have Sea Elite SX30 or SX40 seconds as octos. They are simple and easy to service but, then again, I usually service my regs myself. Internally, they are very much like the old US Divers second stages and about the only thing that has to be replaced at servicing is the little puck style LP seat and, maybe, an O-ring. The RX30 and SX30 second stages (same reg, just different color face plates) breathe well and, so far, mine have worked with better than adequate performance for my needs.

The Scout RX330 first stage is an unbalanced piston reg. It is simple and easy to service. That means that it will breathe easy when your tank is full but breathing resistance will begin to increase when your tank pressure drops below about 750 PSI. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it can serve as a warning that you are running low on air. Even at low pressure, you will still get plenty of air, though.

We also have three Sea Elite wetsuits and they are nicely made and comfortable. And Cheap! :D

As for having the regs serviced, if you don't service your own, the regs can be sent back to Divers Supply for servicing when service is due.

What Herman said is true. Brand names like Aqua-Lung, Apeks, ScubaPro, Zeagle or Atomic might be easier to get serviced locally and all are great regs. They will just cost you more if you want to buy new. I have a long-standing affinity for US Divers/Aqua-Lung myself, though I have recently come to like Edge/HOG as well. That said, you have the option of going with the Sea Elite setup to start out with, if price is a concern and you want new stuff, then getting name brand stuff a little at a time later. The Sea Elite gear would get you started and let you dive and could then be kept as backups after you acquire more expensive gear.

Low cost does not mean unsafe. Divers Supply's Sea Elite brand is good stuff and will work as well as many other, more expensive brands. Like Herman said, service might be a bit of a problem. Divers Supply's house brand is cheaper and the trade-off is, IMO, the minor inconvenience of sending it back to them for servicing. Customer service at Divers Supply is excellent and they have always treated me with exceptional courtesy and on the couple of occasions when there was a problem, they made it right immediately without hesitation.

Good luck and happy diving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom