opinions on scubacat (& other) IDC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello folks,

i'm looking at some of the IDC courses offered in thailand & they seem /very/ cheap.

scubacat for example has a 4+ week DM -> MSDT course for THB 72000 including accommodation - which seems extraordinary (too good to be true?)

can anyone comment on this (& similar offers that seem to be around) ?

I got my first taste of diving with Scubacat, I did a DSD day and it was wonderful.
The staff were friendly and professional. They had a good eye for safety.
If I ever get back to Patong, I would happily dive with them again.

Inspired by this experience I went on to get my OW in Texas and my AOW (in Koh Tao), and all because I had such a good time with Scubacat.

Obviously, I can't comment on the high level course that you are looking at, but my general feeling is that they were great.
The recession is hitting tourism hard in Thailand, as well as the other things that are keeping divers away (political situation and so on) this is why prices are down.

Bods on boats at a cheap rate are better than no bods at the normal rate.
It's a good time to visit.

Rachel

thanks rachel

since you seem to be a sort of local (location = ch-am?) can you suggest what time of the year has the best conditions? (eg - dec-feb can be "ordinary" at the breat barrier reef, due to cyclones, stingers, etc)

Our IDCs here on Phuket typically run about two weeks for the Prep + IDC + IE. The prices are all pretty near to one another, and they all include accommodations. As to whether the price of a 4-week program leading to MSDT represents a bargain at THB 72,000, I can't speak from experience about the program you refer to as I did my own IDC at a different CDC. However, as you also asked, parenthetically, about other IDC's, I can share my own experiences about selecting one. The IDC I attended is now offering the 12-day OWSI program for THB 38,200 and the MSDT course for 18,900, which, if you pay for them separately and not bundled into a package, adds up to well under 60,000. Every package includes additional courses, which you may or may not want--IMO, Nitrox is an excellent one to have, as is EFRI, so that if you add those two on to the MSDT and the OWSI ones you should be able to buy all four courses for around 65,000.

The thing with the MSDT is that you can do the coursework at the CDC, but you will only earn the rating once you've issued 25 diving certifications. Schools that promise the rating along with the certs are charging you to work for them. In essence, they're double-dipping--charging students for courses they charge the MSDT candidate to teach, calling MSDT interns "students" so that they don't need work permits, etc. Whichever IDCs you consider, read the proposals carefully to make sure you are getting what you want and actually get paid for the work you do (rather than paying to work).

Bottom line: it's best to choose an IDC based on your rapport with the Course Director rather than based on some package price. You will not get anything "free," even housing. It's all factored in.

can you suggest what time of the year has the best conditions? (eg - dec-feb can be "ordinary" at the breat barrier reef, due to cyclones, stingers, etc)

If you are considering the Andaman Sea side of the country (where Phuket is located), the best time of year is in the late winter/early spring. The water is still flat, the tourists are thinning out, and the marine life is prolific. Our official high season runs from November through April.

I have been the last few months working on Koh Tao and staffing IDCs. I must say I have been really impressed with the quality of courses I have seen on Koh Tao. The IDCs are really relaxed and comprehensive. The Instructor exam is such a high success rate and the candidates do look well prepared and confident
I really do differ with Qero's comment
"Schools that promise the rating along with the certs are charging you to work for them. In essence, they're double-dipping--charging students for courses they charge the MSDT candidate to teach, calling MSDT interns "students" so that they don't need work permits, etc."

Koh Tao is one of the few places in the world where you can gain that real life experience which really makes their MSDT programs so great. Assisting courses with experienced instructors should be compulsory for all IDC candidates. It really does make someone a better instructor. It helps bridge that gap between the IDC and the real world. When MSDT trainees take courses by themselves they get paid for it. At least where I have seen. They are paying for tuition and guidance from experienced instructors, not to be exploited.
The price you quote seems to be nothing extraordinary. Realise you do have fees and materials on top.
Hope this helps

The thing with the MSDT is that you can do the coursework at the CDC, but you will only earn the rating once you've issued 25 diving certifications. Schools that promise the rating along with the certs are charging you to work for them. In essence, they're double-dipping--charging students for courses they charge the MSDT candidate to teach, calling MSDT interns "students" so that they don't need work permits, etc. Whichever IDCs you consider, read the proposals carefully to make sure you are getting what you want and actually get paid for the work you do (rather than paying to work).

Bottom line: it's best to choose an IDC based on your rapport with the Course Director rather than based on some package price. You will not get anything "free," even housing. It's all factored in.

Quero,

I have to differ with you here, although what you describe may happen in certain parts of Thailand, it definately doesn't happen on Koh Samui with our MSDT internship participants. All the way through the MSDT internship they are accompanied by one of our instructors and if they do get offered to complete a course on their own, they get paid for doing so.

Your bottom line is correct though!

If you are considering the Andaman Sea side of the country (where Phuket is located), the best time of year is in the late winter/early spring. The water is still flat, the tourists are thinning out, and the marine life is prolific. Our official high season runs from November through April.

ah... "winter"?, "spring" ? what are these times? is that feb-april?
(i'm from the other side of the world, you know :wink: )

ah... "winter"?, "spring" ? what are these times? is that feb-april?
(i'm from the other side of the world, you know :wink: )

Yes, that's correct. Thailand is in the Northern Hemisphere, so I was referring to winter/spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Having come from the southern hemisphere myself (South America) years ago, I know how important it is to refer to seasons according to the geographical area in which they occur.

Quero,

I have to differ with you here, although what you describe may happen in certain parts of Thailand, it definately doesn't happen on Koh Samui with our MSDT internship participants. All the way through the MSDT internship they are accompanied by one of our instructors and if they do get offered to complete a course on their own, they get paid for doing so.

Your bottom line is correct though!

I would expect nothing less from you and your IDC, Limbo! However, as you say, there are other approaches that are less scrupulous about their handling of internships, so it always pays to ask questions and become very well informed about the policies and procedures. I have personally known of cases.... well, caveat emptor, I guess, is the best advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom