Opinions on recreational sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... perhaps you just need a better imagination. Or maybe just exposure to more varied environments and demographics. There are many valid reasons why someone might want to consider sidemount for dives outside of caves or other types of overhead. They've been pretty well beaten to death in discussions on ScubaBoard, so I won't bother rehashing them. I'm sure you've already read them ... and you either accept them as valid or not.

You sound like all those local dive shop owners who constantly tell people that BP/W is "tech sh!t", and overkill for recreational diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And bp/w is that too.

I did dive back mount in caves and 36 years of Great Lakes wreck diving.

Your gear configuration and equipment needs are environment specific.
Warm water coral reefs: jacket BCD and 1 AL 80. Deeper water with minor penetration: back inflation and a LP 95 filled to 3600psi with an "H" valve. Serious overhead: either back mount twins or sidemount.

My gear locker includes 28 cylinders, 6 sets of double regs, 4 BCD types and even different size jet fins for the type of dive.

Needless to say, there is more gear in my dive locker then most dive shops.

Take only the gear you need for the dive at hand and leave the rest in your gear bag.

Sorry, just venting. Very tired of all those "tech wanna be's" that show up on a dive boat for a reef dive in 35 feet of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, just venting. Very tired of all those "tech wanna be's" that show up on a dive boat for a reef dive in 35 feet of water.

You mean the person with more doodadds than the local dive shop, or do you mean anyone showing up to a dive boat with doubles for a reef dive?

I feel bad for ya ... I dive to relax and enjoy myself, and to socialize with the other divers around me. I couldn't care less what gear they're using, as long as they're having fun and not infringing on my good time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I honestly prefer side mount for recreational diving. I go into it for wreck pen, but when a kit is set up well side mount is much more efficient in the water, I have flexibility for the dive. If you are not doing deco or overhead you can single tank side mount very easily. The only reason I keep my jacket BCD is to teach with. Saying that it is easier to learn on a jacket style BC, side mount takes more attention to gear set up trim but once that is all figured out it is much simpler to dive. Just show up to the boat tanks already set up, when you wet suit is on you can through your rig on minus the tanks that way when you are mored up you just clip in and go allowing for a much happier boat captain as you are out of the way of everyone else.

I intend to try side mount myself, and for recreational diving, not "tech". I want to do the Solo training, and this gear configuration seems quite well suited for such diving.

I also now dive bp/w for all my dives because of the control in the water column that such a set up allows. I really do not give a flying eff, what some self important, judgemental, "expert", prima Donna thinks.

I quite enjoy experimenting with various techniques and set up, and learning new skills.

e8c618f6a27576b7d070c13df79f26a2.jpg
For the life of me I just can't imagine the reason anyone would use "recreation" sidemount. This is an oxymoron.
Come down to the Florida cave country and I'll show you why sidemount was conceived. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously? redundant air supply doesn't come to mind? Also, wreck diving is a recreational pursuit? that didn't come to mind either?

Since I got my side mount training, it's been my primary setup for most of my dive trips. I use a warm water rig mostly, so it's lighter, easier to pack than a normal BCD and I can fit my regs into my reg bag quite nicely and hand carry them (eliminates weight from my bag, and I've never been called on the extra hand carried item).

for the original poster, dive shops and operators don't have a problem with it, especially if you are bringing your own tanks (you get to move them too).. but for away trips, the only issue I've come across is that most operators don't have any experience with sidemount, so although they set up gear for the backmount crowd, they won't touch your stuff (which works just fine for me). That and be sure that if you use DIN first stages that you check in advance that the operator has tank valves with inserts (be sure to carry the hex wrench equivalent for metric and SAE in your bag) or dedicated DIN valves. You'll find this is tricky. Inevitabily the DM candidates or local hostlers don't get the message and your tanks aren't on the boat, or if you are using EAN, they didn't fill tanks with inserts or DIN with your needed mix. The solution of course is a yoke adapter, but again, that's 4kg to your travel weight, and I've had more than one operator that only carried at most two adapters and then some yahoo shows up to dive without notice using DIN during your week long trip, and you are down an adapter.

So, it comes with it's tradeoffs, I for one won't go back to back mount.

And, there are tricks, you are supposed to breath down your tanks about 750psi at a time, but there are people that will do that for the first 1500 PSI, then breath the other tank light and just dive a full tank and the 1500psi for a second dive allowing them to bring only 3 tanks... (or pay for less EAN)

---------- Post added December 30th, 2015 at 03:41 PM ----------

I am with Lapenta on this (and that usually scares the hell out of me).
There are some people with physical limitations and/or pain issues that walk to the back of the boat, drop in, and we hand the tanks down to them.
These are people who are perfectly competent and even what I would call "excellent divers" when gravity is not working against them so hard.

Chug
Not particularly interested in sidemount.......
yet.

I accept that part of my knee issues is that for lack of a better word, I'm PHAT (FAT). I'm working on that, but it takes time, and my knees aren't waiting.

So, after reading about SM, I opted for it, and let me tell you, last week in Hawaii, I set up my two tanks myself on the way OUT, put on my rig when everyone else did, and waited for the backmount divers to get out of the way before doing my graceful long stride off the back. Then turned around and clipped on each tank, connected my inflator and then waited for the thumbs down and cleared my BCD bladder. As I gently dropped down near the mooring line (in a horizontal position where I could kick and watch the other divers), I ungclipped my shoulder points, connected my bungees, and looped my LONG HOSE in place and clipped it on. I had plenty of time, I was relaxed, and I was leveled off and waiting for everyone at the mooring point when they finished descending.

When I surfaced, I let everyone get out, unclipped the RIGHT post, and swam it up in front of me, handed it out and then unclipped and handed up the LEFT. All in a matter of 60 seconds. Then removed my fins and climbed the ladder without a single tweak or twang in my knees.

I LOVE diving SM, and I love that on my second dive, I had managed my gas so that I only had to move my SHORT hose set up onto a new tank, and could keep the other 100 bar in my RIGHT (long hose) for the next dive.

Again, I don't know for the life of me why someone wouldn't want to reduce stress on their knees, have redundant air, and be able to get in and out from a boat more easily. And shore diving? SM is equally simple shore diving. The worst part about shore diving isn't anything related to tanks, it's putting on and taking off your fins if you have knees like mine.

^ That's how it's done!
I really enjoy diving single tank sidemount in warm water for recreational dives when I've got my full tech gear set with me for cave diving. I bring a set of hose clamps and hose retainer elastics with me so I can use the available Alu 80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly prefer side mount for recreational diving. I go into it for wreck pen, but when a kit is set up well side mount is much more efficient in the water, I have flexibility for the dive. If you are not doing deco or overhead you can single tank side mount very easily. The only reason I keep my jacket BCD is to teach with. Saying that it is easier to learn on a jacket style BC, side mount takes more attention to gear set up trim but once that is all figured out it is much simpler to dive. Just show up to the boat tanks already set up, when you wet suit is on you can through your rig on minus the tanks that way when you are mored up you just clip in and go allowing for a much happier boat captain as you are out of the way of everyone else.

Exactly!! In fact, unless I know I'm going to be doing some serious wreck diving, I have a octopus installed on my LEFT post and tucked in that I leave there doing rec diving. If I am doing that 'shallow reef dive', I just go MONKEY, and have a back up regulator like any other good buddy. Some people claim that it messes up your trim, but I find that it's no big deal.

If I dive deep, I've got plenty of air and redundancy to enjoy my full NDL time versus worrying about sucking a single tank dry.

I don't dive SM. However you dive, as long as you don't take up lots of extra space or mess up the "flow" of the boat, who cares. Dive on. If I'm your insta-buddy, just be prepared to show me clearly & concisely how to get to your (our) air and we'll have a blast. In fact I enjoy seeing & interacting with different methods of the sport. It's pretty interesting. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom