Opinions on recreational sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those that sidemount on recreational (non-deco, non-overhead) dives, how do you like it? Does it complicate things on dive charters? I can't imagine most space constrained charters are happy with someone bringing 4 tanks on a "2-tank" dive, or 6 tanks on a "3-tank" dive. Sidemount AL63s seem like a good option, but Faber 71's seem like they'd be amazing (21.2" tall, 6.7" diameter) compared to the AL63's 21.9" tall, 7.3" diameter) with better buoyancy characteristics on the 71 to boot!

The reason I'm asking is because I've been doing a lot more "3-tank" outings, and recently I picked up two HP117's, so I can either grab another HP117, different volume 8" diameter tank, OR I could experiment going sidemount. If I dove sidemount, I'd feel comfortable not carrying my pony tank, and just swapping regulators every 750 or 1000 psi.

^^^^^^^this......

I just carry both tanks on both dives.....no issues.
If you want, dive a single each dive......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e8c618f6a27576b7d070c13df79f26a2.jpg
For the life of me I just can't imagine the reason anyone would use "recreation" sidemount. This is an oxymoron.
Come down to the Florida cave country and I'll show you why sidemount was conceived. [emoji16]

you'd bring the same amount of gas the other guys were using, difference would be you'd just be carrying more of it on each dive. I.e. if people are doing 3x al80 dive days, then a pair of 117's will have the same amount of gas, though I don't like them for sidemount, but that's just me. If they're doing 3x117 type dives then it's a bit more complicated because the 117's are big enough for you to notice a trim difference with one full and one empty, but in that case I would do it with 4xal80's and it shouldn't be an issue.

2 tanks are easy as people stated. For a 3 tank dive I would just bring a transfill whip and equalize the full tank and the used tank with the highest pressure.

e8c618f6a27576b7d070c13df79f26a2.jpg
For the life of me I just can't imagine the reason anyone would use "recreation" sidemount. This is an oxymoron.
Come down to the Florida cave country and I'll show you why sidemount was conceived. [emoji16]

That's like saying "Come on down to a Navy Seal Demolition Team training facility and I will show you why a rebreather was conceived" Almost every piece of dive gear in use today evolved from a "non-recreational" use....whether it was commercial diving, military diving or scientific exploration, recreational scuba has it's origins in something else. Sidemount is no different...it may have been conceived for sump diving in England or tight restrictions in Florida caves but it is still a viable way to sling tanks in open water.

Last edited:
Faber lp50's pumped up a bit x 4, plenty enough gas for recreational dives, not to big to get in the way, easy to handle. That's what rec sm was made for. Stand up, clip in, fall in, bungee up. On the way out, bungees's off, walk up. Repeat please!

If you're doing Charters, then the overwhelming odds are there will be AL 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom