Opinions on Nekton Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
We just found out we have an extra 6 vacation days! Had heard good things about the Nekton Belize boat but when we went to the website and saw they take 32 people, ouch! We typically shy away from "cattle boats" anyone dive with this operation? Would be interested in hearing thoughts.

First ...let me say that Nekton is NO cattle boat. Yes, they have 16 cabins and can carry 32 passengers but often they don't fill up.

We did the Belize itinerary with Nekton in March 2005 and again in March 2006. Could not have had a better time. On both trips the total number of passengers was around 24. The boats (Pilot and Rorqual) have plenty of room and you never feel like you're being crowded or herded around like cattle. Sure, the dive deck can get a little busy if all passengers try and get suited up at the same time, but that rarely happens. They've got a nice set up for photographers and excellent fresh water rinse services. They even have a shower adjacent to the dive deck so that you can get the salt water off of you as soon as you get your gear off.

Am I sold on Nekton ...you betcha. We work hard for our money and vacation time is precious. We've been on the Nekton boats 5 times now (Bahamas and Belize combined) and for our money it's the best operation going. Comfortable cabins, great crew and services and good diving.

'Slogger

Footslogger, thats good to hear. Do you know the differences between their "Central" and "South" destinations? It is hard to tell from the site but is it a "open" dive deck? IE we can go as often and when we want?

Thanks for the info

The Central trip does Lighthouse and Turneffe, South does Glovers too. They might vary itineraries some based on dive conditions in the different areas too.

Nekon is great. We did the southern route in September 2005. 22 divers aboard. We're going on the Nekton Bahamas in August this yr. Same boat, the Pilot.

mjh:
Footslogger, thats good to hear. Do you know the differences between their "Central" and "South" destinations? It is hard to tell from the site but is it a "open" dive deck? IE we can go as often and when we want?

Thanks for the info
============================
As best I've ever been able to tell it's more about weather than true itinerary. I'm pretty certain it's Captains descretion as to where the boat goes in Belize.

In terms of the dive deck ...YES, once the briefing takes place the "pool is open" until the next meal or in time for them to move the boat. They generally move the boat during lunch and you do your afternoon dives at the same spot as your night dives. Other than that ...as long as you watch your nitrogen loading you can dive to your heart's content. It is feasible to dive 5 times a day, which I used to do. Now I typically dive once in the morning, twice in the afternoon and most often I do the night dive. They've started something called a "Dawn Dive" which is sort of a reverse night dive. You jump in at around 5:30 - 6 AM and watch the sun rise. Kinda neat to see the reefs some alive.

Let me know if you have any more questions ...

'Slogger (Mark)

Did the Nekton in Belize late Feb 2006. Excellent time. 27 dives in 6 days. Strongly recommended. This is a boat that was designed to dive from, looks a bit odd - kind of like a mini oil drilling platform, but is excellent to dive from. It would be a bit crowded with 32 divers on the dive deck, but as Footslogger says this would be unlikely - there were 18 divers on the boat for my trip. If I saw the deck was crowded I would simply wait 10 min until it cleared and then gear up. On the boat the entire upper deck is open area so lots and lots of room to spread around during the day. Dinner would be tight with a full boat, and the evening talks would also be crowded, other than that 32 people would just be more people to talk to.

I am soooo tempted to book the southern belize trip for december which they have listed at $1495.

I also have thought about it. Wonder why this one is so cheap though? Anyone know?

Darnold9999:
I also have thought about it. Wonder why this one is so cheap though? Anyone know?
Early december is a slow time for Carribean travel. And they have the Aggressor and Sun Dancer to compete against. They probably just know they need to offer a deal to help fill the boat around that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom