Opinions on HP QDs for gauges/computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm considering adding a HP QD (High Pressure Quick Disconnect) to my AI computer hose. I'm a bit reluctant as it is a potential failure point, but it would allow my gear to fit into my reg bag more easily & stress the hoses less.
I'm curious if anyone has used one & how reliable they are? Any specific brands to avoid?
Thanks

Haven't used one for diving but use them all the time at work. We only use swagelok brand. They will be pricey but there is a reason. They are worth any premium.

Have used one for several years on my Cobra computers with no problem. Found it particularly handy when we were at one of those “valet” resorts where the DMs rinsed and stored your gear for you each night. At the end of the dive day, I simply disconnected my computer to take back to the room for leisurely dive logging.

ymmv

Careful. Some do not protect the computer from water intrusion when disconnected so don't try rinsing/soaking it when disconnected.

Thanks for the info! I had one (circa 2000) that failed (on the boat THANKFULLY) but think that one would be useful. I don't mind paying a premium if it's worth it...I do mainly solo dives. I'll look-up the brand mentioned.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2015 at 01:17 PM ----------

Has anyone used the Scubapro version? I like/use/own SP gear, but I doubt that they acually make their HP QDs.

Second what awap said. Swagelok refers to the valve that shuts off when disconnected as double end shutoff (deso). Make sure that both ends are deso.

I've had the SP one for, IIRC, 15 years. I use mine on the first stage, thus removing the hose with the gauge. They are "quirky" as they thread together "backwards". Never had a problem. i actually have a few of them.

I have a SP HP QD that I retired quite some time ago. It is a single end shut-off only.

If I had the problem you seem to describe about stowing kit in a reg bag, I think I would go shopping for a new bag.

I'm a bit reluctant as it is a potential failure point,

Failure points on ScubaBoard are highly overrated. I've used one for maybe 15 years with never a problem.

I do thank all & value your input! I have considered buying a larger reg bag, but I am considering a QD for my AI computer. I liked my old one...until it failed! I was lucky as I was on the boat & only going to 80 feet or so. It worries me that I've had one but are the new ones better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom