Opinions on an SMS75?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you're saying worthing 100s don't work as well as worthing 85s eventhough they're exceptionally similar? Maybe for you, but the people I dive with have no issue. My wife is 5'2 and 103 lbs and dives worthing hp100s no issue at all. She typically uses a buttplate because it's how she prefers it, but has in the past dove them without a buttplate no issue. Maybe you're talking old 3500psi HP 100 Genesis, but there's tons of people that dive them without a buttlplate.
As I pointed out, hip width plays a huge role in how the heavier steels hang (PST and Worthingtons). But without pictures I can only be skeptical because as @Marie13 says, non-butt plate BCs and the heavier brand steels are almost always a very poor combination. On me in a razor, my buddy in an Xdeep, my wife in a razor, there is almost no way to get the tanks high and on your sides without a buttplate. They usually hang down a good 2 to 5 inches below the plane of your body no matter how much you move the clips medially (to your spine).

I went ahead and bought the SMS 75. Would've been interested in learning more about your modded 100's but the shipping to Canada alone would probably be a lot. All in I'm out $580, without the weight plate.
The SMS75 basically took the "Edd mods" that were being done to the SMS 100 and made them stock.

They are:
Move the inflator to the left hip
The wing dump moved up to the shoulder
Dump cord in the tube down the left strap
Tighten the bungies on the wing up top to make it more trapezoidal and shift gas to the butt
Cut and re-sew the chest straps and run them straight down to the waist
Poke new holes higher and add the short curved rails to the butt plate
Add double bungie loops for the can light on the back

Not sure why the Hollis rigs have so much hate. It's what was recommended to me by an SM instructor who I'll likely be taking courses with.

I haven't dove in a cave in my life and even if I did, I'm sure I'd have to go through another big expense of buying gear for that. I just want to take all that weight off my back when diving.

I'll never dive with HPs. I'm sure I won't need to in my non-penetrating wreck dives.

*shrugs*
I like my sms100 enough that I replaced it with a 75.
I also have a razor (which is good except for the wing).
And a homemade harness with no wing or BC at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom