Opinions on an SMS75?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its almost impossible to get hp tanks to work on a sm rig without a buttplate - they end up hanging far too low.

That's totally inaccurate. I personally use the xdeep buttplate but it isn't necessary at all. Take a look at all of marissa and drake' photos for hidden worlds diving.

That's totally inaccurate. I personally use the xdeep buttplate but it isn't necessary at all. Take a look at all of marissa and drake' photos for hidden worlds diving.

Hp100s hang horribly (they are -9 lb full with nitrox) and there's no way to stop it unless I get a bigger butt. I've seen this in my own razor and with an xdeep with the rear clips moved all the way to the spine web. Even with a zero leash length on the rear clip, the clip itself is a good ~4" long. Combined with a 7.5" tank that is a total length of around over 11", plus the width of the Dring attachment on the butt (which varies but is at least 1" for a total of 12 or 13") the tank will end up hanging below the plane of your body unless your waist/butt is wide or your beer gut hangs lower. With a 31" waist I basically have 8" from the center of the spine in the back to the forward most part where the tank ends up being 'below' me. Hiking the necks up with an oldschool bungie helps but there's only so much rotational force the bungies can apply to "rotate" the tank up and get the lower edge above the plane of your belly.

Hp100s hang horribly (they are -9 lb full with nitrox) and there's no way to stop it unless I get a bigger butt. I've seen this in my own razor and with an xdeep with the rear clips moved all the way to the spine web. Even with a zero leash length on the rear clip, the clip itself is a good ~4" long. Combined with a 7.5" tank that is a total length of around over 11", plus the width of the Dring attachment on the butt (which varies but is at least 1" for a total of 12 or 13") the tank will end up hanging below the plane of your body unless your waist/butt is wide or your beer gut hangs lower. With a 31" waist I basically have 8" from the center of the spine in the back to the forward most part where the tank ends up being 'below' me. Hiking the necks up with an oldschool bungie helps but there's only so much rotational force the bungies can apply to "rotate" the tank up and get the lower edge above the plane of your belly.

So you're saying worthing 100s don't work as well as worthing 85s eventhough they're exceptionally similar? Maybe for you, but the people I dive with have no issue. My wife is 5'2 and 103 lbs and dives worthing hp100s no issue at all. She typically uses a buttplate because it's how she prefers it, but has in the past dove them without a buttplate no issue. Maybe you're talking old 3500psi HP 100 Genesis, but there's tons of people that dive them without a buttlplate.

I recently saw someone attempt to dive small steels with a Hollis Katana - aka no butt plate. It wasn't pretty. The tanks really hung low.

I’ll be trying out my SMS 75 for the first time in a couple of days. No previous SM experience. I’ll be using HP100’s. I won’t be able to compare to other systems, but I got a good deal on mine so hopefully it works out.

I do not have nor have I tried, but I have an associate that dives it all the time and he uses Al40s x2 he seems to have zero issue and said he loves it. So guess there are as many answers as you like. I have found with gear in general you need to do your research like you are and just take you best educated guess, may work may not and if not you usually can sell it. $600 does sound steep have seem them around $350-400 used, but that is in USD. Good luck.

I'd be happy to if he'd like. He can messsage me. I didn't offer in the post so I wouldn't come off as just wanting to sell something.
Both are in excellent shape and fully modded by Edd himself

I went ahead and bought the SMS 75. Would've been interested in learning more about your modded 100's but the shipping to Canada alone would probably be a lot. All in I'm out $580, without the weight plate.

I went ahead and bought the SMS 75. Would've been interested in learning more about your modded 100's but the shipping to Canada alone would probably be a lot. All in I'm out $580, without the weight plate.

Cool! I'm sure you will be happy with it. Many have said the 75 uses what the 100 did right and improves on what it did wrong, sans the option of a dual bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom