opinions on air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:confused: what? why? please explain...

These are the basic items that one would need to scuba dive: timing device, depth gauge, pressure gauge (though not necessary since that people have been using J-valve for decades and didn't die), dive tables.

Everything else (BC, dive computer, AI dive computer, et al) are just frosting on a cake.

I don't think you really read my post, no matter:)

People can dive however they chose. It's just extreme to characterize one's choices as being comparable to going back to living in a cave and lighting it with a torch as it is to say that someone is dangerous because they use AI or do or don't use a computer.
It's also extreme to characterize one's choice of AI computer as "unnecessary" or "make a bad diver because no longer needs to plan".
They're all valid choices.

Of course they are, otherwise more people would end up as fish food.

It's a gadget. Enjoy it. Don't worry if not everyone feels the same way.
It seems to me that the non-AI dive computer people are the ones that tend to get uppity and act like they're better divers because they go with a non-AI dive computer.

You can easily calculate your time on the fly however. You can easily let your computer do it as well. It's not important either way is more my point.

Agreed. If people think that they can do exact calculations on the fly then by all means. If people think that they want the computer to do the whole shebang, then also by all means.

My whole exercise in this thread is that when a new person asks for information, the info givers can't just give the facts or experience recalls but somehow have to pontificate and justify somehow that his or her own choice of gear is THE CHOICE then go on poopooing other choices.

My whole exercise in this thread is that when a new person asks for information, the info givers can't just give the facts or experience recalls but somehow have to pontificate and justify somehow that his or her own choice of gear is THE CHOICE then go on poopooing other choices.

I agree. I think it's good, regardless of which choice someone will make or has made, if all points of view can come out. As with any reasonable decision there are several valid ones and not just one.

As new people come along some will decide to use computers, no computers, AI computers and it's not a bad thing for them to hear several differing points of view.

Some may be interested to learn more about doing some of this in their head even if they choose to use an AI computer. Just as most of us learn more about gas laws and dive physics when we take Nitrox classes. It's interesting and educational even if we don't use Nitrox all that often...it's just additional knowledge. This is no different.

How well is your integrated working when you're narced?

I can't even add 2+2 when I'm narc'd. That's why I don't put myself in situations where I get narc'd. A dive computer won't help. I remember once looking at my compass and being so narc'd I couldn't figure out what the numbers on the dial meant.

Now there's a new use for integrated computers, so you can go diving when you're totally narc'd out of your mind!

This question by fnfalman is more proof that dive computers, particularly AI, are misused and are totally unnecessary!

I can't even add 2+2 when I'm narc'd. That's why I don't put myself in situations where I get narc'd. A dive computer won't help. I remember once looking at my compass and being so narc'd I couldn't figure out what the numbers on the dial meant.

Well some of us do put ourselves in situations where we get narced because it's easy to run out of fun things to see at 60 feet or less.

If you're narced, and you cannot add 2+2 then forget about reconfiguring your dive plan on the fly or even trying to follow the one you planned originally.

Given the choice, when so narced I cannot add 2+2, between a computer that's beeping at me and flashing the remaining dive time, as compared to trying to remember a dive plan or fudging with tables and doing math in my head...I'll take the flashing red light and beeping and get the freak out of there.

Well some of us do put ourselves in situations where we get narced because it's easy to run out of fun things to see at 60 feet or less.

If you're narced, and you cannot add 2+2 then forget about reconfiguring your dive plan on the fly or even trying to follow the one you planned originally.

Given the choice, when so narced I cannot add 2+2, between a computer that's beeping at me and flashing the remaining dive time, as compared to trying to remember a dive plan or fudging with tables and doing math in my head...I'll take the flashing red light and beeping and get the freak out of there.

I've noticed that your answers have nothing to do with the topic at hand...he said he doesn't put himself in a position to get narced.

Personally, I don't get so narced that I can't add 2+2 but I would agree with Doc Harry in that I don't place myself in a situation where I can't do what I need to do to be in control of the situation.

I've noticed that your answers have nothing to do with the topic at hand...he said he doesn't put himself in a position to get narced.

Personally, I don't get so narced that I can't add 2+2 but I would agree with Doc Harry in that I don't place myself in a situation where I can't do what I need to do to be in control of the situation.

I've been twice dark narc'ed feeling the verge of panic setting in. I knew that I was narc'ed out of my mind and it was rather nice to look at the computer and saw that I had plenty of bottom time and pressure.

Sure, I could have dived shallower, but the wreck was at 120-ft and 130-ft of water both of those times and I wanted to see the wrecks.

Anyway, if people want to spend the extra bucks on AI computer (and I do, but I won't speak for others), then go for it. It ain't gonna kill you or make you a bad diver.

You make yourself to be a bad diver and not a piece of equipment, especially a dive computer.

Yes Bryan, Harry doesn't let that happen to him, but this thread is about all divers, not just Harry.

Sometimes a diver does not anticipate the effects of Nitrogen Narcosis. It's quite conceivable that out of the large numbers of Scuba divers who do countless dives each year, there will be a sizeable number that will find themselves in a situation where they are narc'd and unable to perform them most simple of arithmetic tasks.

In which case I maintain that the diver who has an AI computer beeping and flashing at him with a large flashing time remaining readout is going to be in better shape than one who is relying on his mathematical ability and his dive plan. Especially if he's modified his dive and has to now pull out the tables at depth and recalculate the entire thing.

Yes Bryan, Harry doesn't let that happen to him, but this thread is about all divers, not just Harry.

Sometimes a diver does not anticipate the effects of Nitrogen Narcosis. It's quite conceivable that out of the large numbers of Scuba divers who do countless dives each year, there will be a sizeable number that will find themselves in a situation where they are narc'd and unable to perform them most simple of arithmetic tasks.

In which case I maintain that the diver who has an AI computer beeping and flashing at him with a large flashing time remaining readout is going to be in better shape than one who is relying on his mathematical ability and his dive plan. Especially if he's modified his dive and has to now pull out the tables at depth and recalculate the entire thing.

Except that no one is doing that. Reducing an argument to the absurd doesn't help make a point. No one (very few) are pulling out dive tables to recalculate.

How hard is it to learn 20 minutes at 100 fsw and add 5 minutes for each 10 feet shallower and subtract 5 minutes for each 10 feet deeper or any of method that one would come up with as a shortcut.

If someone is that impaired they have other problems beyond reading a flashing computer. What about their judgment at that point?

How hard is it to learn 20 minutes at 100 fsw and add 5 minutes for each 10 feet shallower and subtract 5 minutes for each 10 feet deeper or any of method that one would come up with as a shortcut.

I can't even add 2+2 when I'm narc'd.

If a diver cannot even add 2 + 2, I don't give them great odds at getting through that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom