Opinions on a Mares BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The integrated weights problem is 3 fold IMO.

1) the clips aren't entirely big compared to other integrated weights on the market (It's just a flat pad w/ a few indents that click into a thin female end VS looking like a standard quick release buckle)

2) They can be hard to insert on their own and secure because the clip is so small; Even buddies can have trouble, especially when the pocket is fully loaded

3) diver habits/environment will likely cause it to fail

All the Mares weight pockets I've seen fail have been under the same conditions: Divers fully loading their weight pockets w/ the maximum allowed weight.
Divers fiddling to cram that weight into it's holster and getting a quick secure click (they usually rock it back and forth until they hear a small click).
Divers are always horizontal and getting thrashed by surge conditions in a kelp environment.

This always happens during my uni's scientific diving final at a rocky and kelp filled beach. We hug the bottom and perform substrate surveys, so every piece of securing gear really gets tested for reliability.

In comparison there's divers doing the same exact thing as the Mare's BC people but with Scubapro, Sherwood, and Oceanic integrated pockets. They never have this same problem.

I ordered myself a Mares Dragon (no airtrim, I just don't like it) through my LDS yesterday. They let me use one in the pool because I already had shorts on and my reg set in the truck. The Dragon is like a hybrid between a Back inflate and a Jacket BCD. Having good trim is easy in it, and the rumors about the MRS weights dropping out were quickly put to rest when I checked the stability of the system myself. PEOPLE: YOU HAVE TO ZIP THE ZIPPER AND PUSH THE SYSTEM INTO THE POCKETS UNTIL YOU HEAR A CLICK! :no: I love it myself, it keeps the tank very secure and the cummerbund is comfortable. There's plenty of D-rings even for me. The back padding is great for those long walks to the beach. Inflates and deflates VERY smoothly and doesn't "squeeze" you.

The only problem is that ordering or buying from your LDS means you have to pay a crapload more, marked up about 20%. But, I like to help keep them in business as much as I can! :D

I've had a Mares Hybrid since October and had zero issues with it. Exceptionally comfortable, never had any issues with the weight pockets and that includes having to weight more than normal when breaking in a new wetsuit. Pockets are big enough and definitely not too big. Excellent construction all 'round really - and I love the weight suspension system on the backplate.
The only two things I'd question are the value of the folding mechanism - it's only sometimes of use - and the velcro divide within the weight pockets. If a weight pocket comprised of two separate compartments with two separate zips to add the weight, it would cut down on the possibility of a weight unsealing the velcro and heading in the the other compartment which would be enough to knock a weight pocket loose if it hasn't been properly locked in place.
Like SnorkelLA says, I think it's all about the system being locked in properly when it comes to the issues people have with the pockets.

I just picked up the Mares Prestige w/ Air Control last Thursday. Its a nice BCD. During my open water training I had to load up the integrated weight system and the rear pockets with weights, everything felt secure. I was wearing a 7mm wetsuit at the time. I do notice that it is very important to make sure it "clicks".

I will provide more info if I run into any issues down the line. For now I am a happy camper. I can't wait to get back into the pool with it next week.:D

Last edited:
My husband has the Mares Dragon and loves it. I have the women's version and also love it. Neither of us has had an issue with weight pockets coming unclipped.

I love my Ladyhawk - womens version of the nighthawk... over ten years old still diving it.

---------- Post added ----------

We reviewed 4 womens specific BC's. Mares Hybrid was one of them - here's the link for the full review.
http://www.scubagearreports.com/index.php/gear-reviews/330-top-storywomens-bcs.html

I've had a Mares Hybrid since October and had zero issues with it. Exceptionally comfortable, never had any issues with the weight pockets and that includes having to weight more than normal when breaking in a new wetsuit. Pockets are big enough and definitely not too big. Excellent construction all 'round really - and I love the weight suspension system on the backplate.
The only two things I'd question are the value of the folding mechanism - it's only sometimes of use - and the velcro divide within the weight pockets. If a weight pocket comprised of two separate compartments with two separate zips to add the weight, it would cut down on the possibility of a weight unsealing the velcro and heading in the the other compartment which would be enough to knock a weight pocket loose if it hasn't been properly locked in place.
Like SnorkelLA says, I think it's all about the system being locked in properly when it comes to the issues people have with the pockets.

The key to not having the weight breaking the velcro and sliding forward is to put the heavier weight first(the one closest to the release) and the lesser weight(if there is one) to the back

The key to not having the weight breaking the velcro and sliding forward is to put the heavier weight first(the one closest to the release) and the lesser weight(if there is one) to the back

If you look carefully at the MRS2 system, it is still a system the requires the same clip to retain both retain the lead (13lbs side) and release when the force is increased by pulling the lever (lets say 25lbs for a nominal value). So the release force on the clip must be calibrated to support the max weight load and release on demand. That is sometimes a fine line to maintain.

The inherent problem as you pointed out is if the load shifts in the pocket you get a shock load that exceeds the 25lbs and might release the clip. Ditto if you stuff more junk into the adjacent cargo pockets that push on the weight pockets. Add to that the manufacturing tolerances and wear on the clips and that finely tuned balance is sometimes exceeded, especially if you are close to max load, resulting in the lose of the pocket. Been there, done that several times. I also snagged the clips on boat ladders 2x since they stick out a bit.

In contrast, if you look at the systems used by Zeagle and DUI (rip cord), the pockets are retained by a side load on the rip cord. It would take 100's and 100's of pounds of force to cause this to release by accident. It just not going to happen. For the user to release, the pull the rip cord out length wise (as opposed the the side load holding the weights) , which takes a moderate amount of force and is fairly independent on the amount of lead in the pockets. In fairness, the rip cord systems do take more time to re-thread after deployment but for me that is a worthwhile trade off.

I met someone on a dive boat in Alabama who had an earlier model of Dragon (2009) and had applied a velcro strip to the inside of the weight pocket, where it could reach around and strap to another velcro strip on the outside pocket of the BCD. This way if he had to quick release he had to pull the (admittedly heavy duty) velcro off and THEN pull the strap. He'd done a darn good job modifying it too- both velcro straps on the outside were sewn in, and the ones on the inside were staples very neatly.

I only need about 6 pounds of weight in fresh water with no exposure protection, so I just put 2 lbs in the integrated weights and 1lb in either trim pocket. WITH 3mil exposure protection I require about 14lbs. So I put 5 lbs in each pocket and 2 in trim pockets. In SALT water I require about 25 lb with 3mil protection, so I put on 5 lb in each weight pocket, two 5 lb on a belt, and 2 lbs give or take in the trim pockets.

the trick with the MRS system is to balance out the distribution of weight via multiple methods. I was very well aware of the issues with earlier model MRS BCDs, but I hadn't actually seen any recent complaints, the latest I found was June 2010. So it appears as though they've ironed it out. I did test the BCD with full weight capacity in a pool (just for testing purposes, I sank like a freaking stone, had to inflate the BCD considerably to attain neutral buoyancy) and I swam around for about 30 minutes, doing twists and turns, barrel rolling a few times underwater, and even jostling the BCD around a time or two on the surface. Worked like a charm, you just gotta push it in nice and quick, if you hear the click it's there to stay :)

I own a Mares Dragon that I purchased brand new in 2009. Personally, I have had no problem with it and loved it until I switch to BP&W system (SS for doubles and Express Tech for single). Nowadays, the BCD sees water when my son comes diving with me and GF. My GF also had the She dives version and never had any problem with hers. Having said that, my son did lose one of the pockets two years ago on a local drift dive. The interesting fact is after I purchased a replacement pair, I happen to be diving with a friend of mine a year later (last year) and he told me about a weight pocket he had retrieved the previous weekend at that dive site. I jokingly told him that if it was a Mares black pocket with red handle containing a combinaison of soft and hard weights wrapped in a separate sleeve that he had probably found the one my son lost. Turned out to be the one.

My recommandation for the Dragon and She Dives version is not only to insert the pocket fully until you hear a click but to do so before putting the BCD on which some people don't resulting in difficulties in properly seating subject pocket(s).

Back
Top Bottom