Opinions on a Mares BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how much weight u using im with 26lbs full 7 mm suit
im gonn try hp130 tanks
also hows your boyancy under water
i find im ok just surface is the face down effect
I'm using a total of 6 kgs. (13 lbs) A one kilo in the back on each side and around 2 kgs in each weight pocket but pushed way back and held back by the velcro so I really don't have any weights holding me forward.
My buoyancy underwater is good and I've had no issues with being face down on the surface. I just found the whole BCD extremely comfortable.

how much weight u using im with 26lbs full 7 mm suit
im gonn try hp130 tanks
also hows your boyancy under water
i find im ok just surface is the face down effect

The Mares line tends to have lots of extra buoyancy (up to 54lbs on the XL). If you fill it full on the surface, there is a lot of force wanting to rotate you face down. With a wrap around jacket, it not such a problem but with the air in the back, it rotates you. Try filling 1/3 to 1/2 way. You should only need a small amount of lift at the surface. Also the weight pockets tend to slide forward during the dive, once you go vertical for ascent they remain forward a bit, try pushing them back into the pockets on ascent.

yes good call never thought of that should be something to keep them in place but also need to be able to drop them quickly if need be. next dive ill check it out

tjrjn
u must be diving in the south
im using 7mm suit gloves hood boots and ball warmer lo

tjrjn
u must be diving in the south
im using 7mm suit gloves hood boots and ball warmer lo[/QUOTE]

I'm in the south west of Turkey so it's pretty warm in summer. :flag:
I'm only using a 2.5 mm shorty at the moment as well. :p

Last edited:
After some comparison, I opted for the Mares Dragon over the Hybrid. No complaints, the MRS works well, does not come out easily once secured. The only downside is that its relatively big and heavy. Not the best BCD for travel. However, I'm willing to lug it around as I have tried some light travel BCD's and still prefer the dragon.

I figured out the problem, had to balance the weights better, less air on the surface also helps. The dragon is a beautiful bcd, just took a little getting used to. Wasnt used to the integrated weights.
Very comfortable, heavy though but only out of the water :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom