Opinions on a Mares BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, if you dive long enough, you will realize that as some point you may end up finding quite a few weight pockets from integrated system and they will not have Mares written on them.

I quite agree, Mares definitely isn't the only manufacturer who's clueless about proper weight system design.

---------- Post added ----------

Different things work for different people. My MRS system works for me, I've had no failures. I like it, and when it doesn't work for some people, and then they come on the Internet bashing the product, calling it unreliable, one has to ask: Well, did you zip the zipper? No? Well did you push it firmly till you heard a click, telling you the system was secure? Well, you're not sure? Did you go over the capacity? Maybe? Well, did you not fasten the Velcro that keeps the weights from moving around? No? Well, did you AT LEAST check the system? No? Well then what are you bashing the product for?

And I realize that you have more experience with the product than I do, and this post was not in any way directed at you, I promise.

But, I have dove it in fresh, salt, cold, and warm water. Once I even put it through a stress test that would have instantly told me if I got a bad unit. I put it through scenarios that it would probably never go through (being rocked around hard on the surface with weights at capacity, barrel rolling on the surface and underwater)

Everything worked fine, and that's what matters to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Might be a good idea to go ahead and order a couple of spare pocket inserts and keep them in your save-a-dive kit, like I do. I've only lost one weight pocket in over 10 yrs of diving, but it was annoying enough to teach me a lesson. I lost that pocket using a Deepoutdoors BCD, another Rube-Goldberg design, which I trashed and replaced with a Halcyon system with no further issues. I'm diving Halcyon and DiveRite weight systems these days.

Different things work for different people. My MRS system works for me, I've had no failures. I like it, and when it doesn't work for some people, and then they come on the Internet bashing the product, calling it unreliable, one has to ask: Well, did you zip the zipper? No? Well did you push it firmly till you heard a click, telling you the system was secure? Well, you're not sure? Did you go over the capacity? Maybe? Well, did you not fasten the Velcro that keeps the weights from moving around? No? Well, did you AT LEAST check the system? No? Well then what are you bashing the product for?

To answer your question:

Did I zip the zipper: Yes, every time. I did have a zipper failure and Mares replaced the pocket, so I did not bother bringing it up.

Did I push it in until I heard a click? The first couple of drops, perhaps not. Since my son's were actually the first to have this problem I assumed it was operator error and lectured them about not only carelessness on assembling their gear but a buddy check failure. I really had them on the ropes until the same thing happened to me. You can bet you paycheck though after the first couple of time we were listening for the click, double and triple checking, yet we still has some issues.

Did we go over capacity? Absolutely not. In fact what we do no is never exceed 8lbs (stated capacity is 13lbs). If we need more, we use a belt, harness or cam band pockets to balance out our ballast.

Did we fasten the velcro? Not all the time, when fully loaded to capacity you can't. Nothing in the user manual about this (it states something use the velcro to keep small wieghs from moving), although logically it might help in some cases.

Did we check the system? Every dive.

Why am I bashing the product? The OP asked for opinions, that in itself is reason to offer mine up.

To be clear: I am not saying the system is not usable. What I am saying you have to take multiple extra precautions, above and beyond what is stated in the manual to insure you don't have accidental weight drops. Because of that, it is not my first choice to recommend to someone.

Note: I am not bashing Mares products in general (I still own several thousand dollars worth of Mares BCD's, regulators, fins, mask, etc...) not the the BCD itself. I actually find the construction of mine solid (except the MRS2) and still have them in service after 6 years of use. Choice of BCD's is a personal choice and what works best for me or you may not apply to the next diver.

I think that in the same way that the only way to be 100% sure not to have a diving accident is not to dive... The only way to be sure not to lose the weight pockets is not to use them. Now, I can say that pretty much every month, I see someone losing a weight pocket (not only mares, actually not more often than with other brands). I think that most of the times the equipment is not properly assembled OR the diver is not paying attention while coming back to the boat, often hitting the ladder and releasing the weights. I am ussually last coming back in the boat, I have seen this a few times.
I have more than 800 dives on a mares bcd, I use it daily and even though I don't use the pockets, I can say that the rest of the bcd has given me no problems so far. It is very well constructed, the dump valves are very reliable, and it is very comfortable.

i own a mares dragon bcd bought new in april2012
no issues with it except with integrated weights and tank the set up weighs a ton
lol
did a few fresh water dives and made sure integrated weights were secure first
however when i surface seems like it wants to float me face down still need to get used to it because my last was a rental in jamaica no 7mm suit gloves integrated weights hood or boots
still its very comfortable and i love it
like i said just need to adapt to it.
now i wonder if i can add double 80s to it. :wink:

My Mares Dragon is indeed heavy. I have zero problem with the weight pockets in over 70 dives. Part of the reason taht the Dragon is as heavy as it is, is that the back area padded extremely well. I have had a spinal cord injury and have never found a bcd nearly as comfortable as the Dragon.

The Dragon is supposed to be a hybrid. It has some characteristics of a back inflate and some of a jacket style bcd. As such, there is some tendency to push you on your face on the surface, but I found it pretty easy to adjust and dont find it to be much of a problem.

I've just bought (and used) my first BCD. I'm only 5"2 so didn't want anything too heavy or cumbersome so after doing a lot of research online I got the MARES Dragon and love it!
I was initially looking for a female orientated BCD but the Dragon is so adjustable including the back support which you can leave down or have up for extra lumber support. I also love the integrated weight system with MRS. I'd heard mixed reports but if they're locked in properly I can't see how they could possible just fall out.
I just can't fault it. :glad:

Ive done several more dives since my last post, brockville and kingston. Great dives, no issues with the mares dragon, comfortable is right!! I havent had a chance to figure out how to adjust the air so im not forced down on my face when I surface. Prefer to be able to float upright and swim forward .
Any suggestions?
Also I did catch the zipper slightly open on the weight system, maybe when I was taking them out on the last dive, I know to keep an eye on them and once there in and I hear the click, dont pull on the red handle to check them and make sure your buddy doesnt either!!! They tend to check if their locked in and unlock them by mistake.

Ive done several more dives since my last post, brockville and kingston. Great dives, no issues with the mares dragon, comfortable is right!! I havent had a chance to figure out how to adjust the air so im not forced down on my face when I surface. Prefer to be able to float upright and swim forward .
Any suggestions?
Also I did catch the zipper slightly open on the weight system, maybe when I was taking them out on the last dive, I know to keep an eye on them and once there in and I hear the click, dont pull on the red handle to check them and make sure your buddy doesnt either!!! They tend to check if their locked in and unlock them by mistake.

I've put a couple of weights in the back and find they keep me upright. :p

how much weight u using im with 26lbs full 7 mm suit
im gonn try hp130 tanks
also hows your boyancy under water
i find im ok just surface is the face down effect

I've put a couple of weights in the back and find they keep me upright. :p

Back
Top Bottom