Opinions on 2 year old cylinder failed visual for pitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a set of double HP 100 Worthington's that I bought new 2 years back. When I bought them I just found a shop near my work where I get them filled. That is the ONLY place they have ever been filled. On the first VIP the shop sent them out to tumble for some rust. They said the rust was not horrible, but it would be best to get them tumbled. They came back and I dove them, only filling them at the same shop. They have a great deal on air fills and I was usually diving 2 times a week sometimes more.

I brought them in a little early for the 2nd visual because I knew I was not going to be able to dive for at least a few months or so. Once again they said there was a little rust and sent them out to be tumbled. When they returned one cylinder was condemned (XXXXXXXXXXXX) and the other was said to be close because of pitting. The guy at the shop was really surprised and double checked with the hydro facility that tumbled them and condemned them.

Since they were less than 2 years old we figured we would see what XS had to say about the pitting. I did not think it was normal for a cylinder to get pitted that fast and fail. Each time the cylinders were opened up for visuals there was not any significant amount of water. I also have a few aluminum cylinders and a few steel cylinders that I get filled at the same shop that have had no pitting problems. So for these cylinders to pit that bad in less than 2 years I figured there might be something odd with the cylinders.

XS came back saying yes, the cylinder is pitted. But they do not warranty the inside of cylinders and Worthington is out of business at this point. We can't do anything and the only way to get pitting is water. And since they have only been filled at one location, that is where the water would have came from. The reason these were pitted and not my other cylinders is because I was diving them more than the others. Then they sent them back.

I have only been dealing with the main worker guy at the shop who has been really helpful, but he can't do much more. So I have sent an email to the owner to tell him what is going on and asking what we can do to get me back into a set of doubles. It has been a week and no response yet.

So I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. According to XS it is the shops fault and of course the shop says it is not their fault.

Sounds like the shop needs to check out their moisture separators. Assuming you don't breathe your tanks empty, that is.

Seems odd for a shop to send tanks out to a hydro facility for a simple VIP. The shops in my are do VIP (and tumble) in the shop. Hydro is a different story.

Personally, I think you should consider a different fill station if you get them to make good on any of this.

I have not had them lower that probably 400 psi.

I have a set of double HP 100 Worthington's that I bought new 2 years back. When I bought them I just found a shop near my work where I get them filled. That is the ONLY place they have ever been filled. On the first VIP the shop sent them out to tumble for some rust. They said the rust was not horrible, but it would be best to get them tumbled. They came back and I dove them, only filling them at the same shop. They have a great deal on air fills and I was usually diving 2 times a week sometimes more.

I brought them in a little early for the 2nd visual because I knew I was not going to be able to dive for at least a few months or so. Once again they said there was a little rust and sent them out to be tumbled. When they returned one cylinder was condemned (XXXXXXXXXXXX) and the other was said to be close because of pitting. The guy at the shop was really surprised and double checked with the hydro facility that tumbled them and condemned them.

Since they were less than 2 years old we figured we would see what XS had to say about the pitting. I did not think it was normal for a cylinder to get pitted that fast and fail. Each time the cylinders were opened up for visuals there was not any significant amount of water. I also have a few aluminum cylinders and a few steel cylinders that I get filled at the same shop that have had no pitting problems. So for these cylinders to pit that bad in less than 2 years I figured there might be something odd with the cylinders.

XS came back saying yes, the cylinder is pitted. But they do not warranty the inside of cylinders and Worthington is out of business at this point. We can't do anything and the only way to get pitting is water. And since they have only been filled at one location, that is where the water would have came from. The reason these were pitted and not my other cylinders is because I was diving them more than the others. Then they sent them back.

I have only been dealing with the main worker guy at the shop who has been really helpful, but he can't do much more. So I have sent an email to the owner to tell him what is going on and asking what we can do to get me back into a set of doubles. It has been a week and no response yet.

So I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. According to XS it is the shops fault and of course the shop says it is not their fault.

Want more good news?

Wet fills are a sign that the compressor filtration has failed. Typically the last section (or tower) in an air filtration system is the activated charcoal. It's job is to remove hydrocarbons.

The first section is desiccant, it's job is to remove moisture so the activated charcoal can do it's job.

If the desiccant is allowed to saturate, and moist air reaches the charcoal the moisture will "wash" the hydrocarbons trapped in the charcoal into the gas.

Wet fills aren't just wet, they are very potentially also contaminated with other nasty things.

I suspect if you had a look at the shop's air test records the testing has been done shortly after a filter change, and not just prior to a filter change.

Wet gas? Run away, run away!

Tobin

P.S. Remember Tech divers are the "Canaries in the Coal Mine" contamination rates that are not too bad at 2-3 ATA typical of most recreational dives can be far more serious at 5+ ATA.

Tobin

Should I just run away, or should I try to get them to replace or make a deal to replace the cylinder(s) and then run away?

Should I just run away, or should I try to get them to replace or make a deal to replace the cylinder(s) and then run away?

I can't advise you about making a deal with a "wet fill" shop. Sorry, but you already know they are cutting corners, that makes the chances of them stepping up and buying you a new tank kinda remote…...

Tobin

"any significant amount of water?????"

ANY water is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Scuba air must be incredibly dry, or the filter media cannot function, as explained above.

The only other explanation would be getting very careless with wet valves and fill whips, if the tanks were never left empty with open valves.

I'd at least ask the shop for a deal on new tanks. THEN run away.

Just to confirm, no boat fills on these doubles (at all)? I always kept one set of cylinders dedicated for boat dives. Inevitably, those were the only cylinders I ever needed to get tumbled.

I can't advise you about making a deal with a "wet fill" shop. Sorry, but you already know they are cutting corners, that makes the chances of them stepping up and buying you a new tank kinda remote…...

Tobin

I figured it would be an uphill battle for them to step up. But I wanted hold out a little hope. But I think you are right and I will be disappointed with the shop and looking for a similar tank or I have a new single and get another set of doubles.

Thanks for your opinion.

I have had a set of doubled Worthington HP 100's and my daily diver is a single Worthington HP 100 all for over 10 years. Second hydro was last year. I don't even have any flash rust in them. Of course, I fill them myself, but the point is, there is nothing wrong with the cylinders, only with the fill station.

SoCAL is notorious for wet fills on boats. At least I've read numerous stories about some boat at Catalina that everyone knows will fill wet, and this boat and that boat etc. Keeping fills dry on a boat takes a lot of work and dedication from the staff. I've very rarely heard of wet fills from a shop, however. Does this particular shop hot fill in a water bath?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom